Know the Novel//Part Three: It Is Written

 


Welcome to the final installment of Christine Smith's Know the Novel linkup!! I'm so excited that NaNo is over, though it feels hard to believe! How is it December already?!

This month, I'm going to share some of the fun details about how NaNo went while writing The Last of the Lambs!

1. Firstly, how did writing this novel go all around?

It was very interesting to start with. I had a bit of a rocky time getting into the story, but once I had gotten into it, I found that the words kept flowing! That was nice!

I did end up getting really far behind. On the last day, I had to write nearly 11k in order to win NaNo. That was...very exhausting, but also super fun. Thankfully, I didn't find any snags in the outline and I kept a consistent pace all throughout the day. That made writing soooo much easier!

2. Did it turn out like you expected or completely different? And how do you feel about the outcome?

It did turn out a lot like I expected. There were a few differences (Londiwe's family was larger than I originally planned, some of the conflicts were deeper than I had outlined, etc.), but for the most part it was how I planned. 

3. What aspect of the story did you love writing about the most? (Characters, plot, setting, prose, etc.)

I really enjoyed the introspective voice the story took on. While I felt like it slowed the pace a little, it was very interesting to hear Londiwe's emotions and thoughts throughout the book. 

4. How about your least favorite part?

My least favorite part was trying to figure out different aspects of the culture/world on the fly. It takes a lot of time away from actually writing and slows down my progress. Unfortunately, it's not really something that I can plan beforehand with the way I outline. 

5. What do you feel like needs the most work?

*sheepish grin* My grasp on the world. I feel like I have the characters and the plot down pretty well, but my knowledge of the world is lacking and I'd definitely like to beef it up in edits. 

6. How do you feel about your characters now? Who’s your favorite? Least favorite? Anyone surprise you? Give us all the details!

I really enjoy them all, but I think my favorite is Londiwe. She's is such a complex character and I really loved watching her develop. It's really interesting watching the layers of trauma pile on top of her and how she reacts to everything that happens to her.

I'm not sure yet who my least favorite is. I'd like to say my antagonist is, but I didn't really put him into the book much yet. That's usually something I do during revisions, once I get a better grasp of my MC's arc throughout the story. Anyway, I want to say he's my least favorite, but I don't know enough about him to say for sure.

7. What’s your next plan of action with this novel?

I'm going to set it aside for a little while to work on other things. I might come back to finish it up in April during Camp NaNo, but that's if my schedule allows. There might be other things I have to deal with first. So we'll see. 

8. If you could have your greatest dream realized for this novel, what would it be?

Oof! I don't know!

I think that, just like with all my other books, I'd like to see it touch someone in a meaningful way. That to me is more valuable than any award or prestige. 

9. Share some of your favorite snippets!

I actually bothered to highlight some snippets this time around so I could easily find them this time. Who even am I?!

No matter the brave thoughts I have while awake, they have no bearing in the dream world. There, nightmares still abound and they don't heed boasting. 

~~~

As always, they desired bloody endeavors above all else. 

Little lambs were no match for their teeth. Sooner or later, they would be devoured by their bloodlust unless, by some tragedy, they became lions themselves. 

~~~

Sometimes, words don’t do feelings justice. Sometimes, there are emotions that transcend explanation. 

Grief--true, deep, painful grief--was one of those feelings.

10. Did you glean any new writing and/or life lessons from writing this novel?

This year, I would have liked to have a more consistent schedule at the beginning so I didn't have to push so hard at the end. Granted, I was balancing being an author with other obligations and writing my novel, so I shouldn't be too hard on myself. 

However, I feel like I could have done a better job pushing myself at the beginning instead of slacking. 

So yeah, that's the lesson I hope I learned during this past month (we'll see if it sticks in my brain next year!).

There you have it! That's how NaNo went for me!

Onto y'all! How did NaNo go if you participated? How was November, even if you didn't? Did you have a good Thanksgiving? Let me know down below!

Comments

  1. I'm so happy to hear that the words began to flow once you got past the rocky beginning! And I am still in complete AWE at your 10k day! That is just AMAZING!!! Sooooo many congrats for finishing! *throws confetti*

    And EEP. This just sounds like such a gorgeous story! I mean those SNIPPETS. GIRL. You have such a beautiful way of bringing out poignant and moving emotions.

    Thank you so much for joining all the linkups. I have LOVED reading your posts and learning about your story! I do hope you have a wonderful December! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I'm really excited that I managed to pull it off.

      Aww, that means a lot. I really liked how things came together for this story. It was such a fun one to write (and by fun, of course I mean heartbreaking and sad).

      Yes! Thank you for hosting them!!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on finishing NaNo, and WOW a 11k day! That's super impressive! The snippets are gorgeous, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! It was an...interesting day, to say the least. Very busy. And thank you, I really liked the snippets I picked this year. I feel like they capture the feeling of the book.

      Delete
  3. The fact that you won by writing like 11K on the last day is amazing!
    Congrats!!!
    "Watching the layers of trauma build up on Londiwe" is such an author thing and I relate to it way too much. We love them but we torment them. XD
    Such good snippets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      LOL, so true!! It's rough watching everything that happens to her, but I'm also so proud of her arc.

      Thank you! I had a hard time choosing which ones to go with.

      Delete
  4. THOSE SNIPPETS!!! *swoons* Also, I am so impressed that you did 11k in a day to catch up! I wish I'd had that fortitude! Congrats on finishing a novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you!! I'm glad you liked the snippets.

      I'm pretty impressed I pulled it off too. It took about 10 hours, but I'm happy I did it.

      Delete
  5. I love the new blog header!!! <3

    Also, that second snippet....oh boy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really pleased with how it turned out!

      Hehe! I know!

      Delete
  6. WOW! 11,000 in one day! AWESOME! Congrats on winning NaNo!!! ^_^ *shoots fireworks*

    Oy, worldbuilding is something I severly lack in. XP Can't it just build itself?

    I loved the snippets!!!

    I hope you have a very merry Christmas! <3 I can't believe it's only a week away! O.o :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! Thank you so much! I'm so excited that I won!

      Right?! I wish that was how it worked. It would make writing so much easier.

      Thank you!

      I hope you have a very merry Christmas as well! It IS hard to believe that it's only a week away.

      Delete
  7. WOW it sounds like your NaNo experience was wonderful!! 11k words in one day is INSANELY IMPRESSIVE. And I love the title of your WIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really great experience (albeit a little stressful at times, but still really good)!

      Thank you! I really liked the title too!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on winning NaNo, that's amazing you wrote 11K in one day! I'm glad that writing this novel went well!
    Oh, those snippets are just AMAZING. You know highlighting good snippets is a good idea. I should do that. Flicking through a novel for snippets is difficult.
    You're not the only one who has lack of a world. *cringes* But I feel that characters and plot at the moment is more important. Or that's at least the excuse because I have so much research to do cause, of course I have to write my story in a foreign country. XD
    Your protagonist sounds so interesting. I loved all of the details you shared about her. I have a feeling I'd love to follow a character like her around in a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I was really glad that I was able to pull it off. It was a bit crazy that day, but I'm glad I did it!

      Thank you!! And yes, I was glad I highlighted them or else I wouldn't be able to find anything to use for snippets. I don't like scrolling through my work, hoping that I'll land on something to use.

      Right?! I feel the same way. I know I'm going to have to do loads of research for my world later (which is fine because I love research), but right now I'm glad to really get a feel for my character and plot. But my world is seriously lacking.

      I'm glad she seems interesting! I really like her.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts