Camp NaNo Lessons: Redefining "Winning"


It's now May. Another Camp NaNo has come and gone. Some campers have walked away completing their Camp goals and others haven't. I'm #teamwontfinishcampgoal and I'm totally cool with it!

I made a goal of 1320 minutes for the month, which is about 22 hours (the site won't let you go that low in hours, so I had to do minutes). I ended with about 600. I basically reached about half of my goal.

After many setbacks, the fact that I wouldn't win this time around was pretty clear. I was sick for the first week. I went on a trip. I had a number of appointments that I needed to go to. My time was filled up with anything but writing. So I ended up just getting in what I could and not stressing over the numbers.

I know I could have adjusted my goal so I could win, but I've done that almost every single Camp and it doesn't sit right with me. I wanted to be okay with losing. I wanted to start resetting my priorities. Winning isn't always about the numbers. It's about putting in the effort.

Think about a race. What causes someone to win? Is it the fact that they hit their PR for the distance? No. It's the fact that they worked hard, pressed through, and came out in front. They may have gotten the slowest time in their career, but if they come in first, it still counts as a win.

No one would ever say that they should have pushed for a PR if they didn't need to (except for jerks that they don't need to listen to). If the competition was slower, then why work harder than they had to? That's not efficient and could lead to burnout and injury. The same goes for writing.

As I started looking at the work I'd accomplished throughout the month, I realized that I actually had gotten a lot of things done. Despite the fact that I only got 10 hours of work in, I finished almost all of my actual goals that I had made for the month. Here they are:

1. Outline upcoming NaNo novel. Check.

2. Create a battle plan for my upcoming edits. Check.

3. Research pitching. Check. Not to the level I'll need for Realm Makers, but I got the basic idea and now I'll grow it as I go through the upcoming months.

4. Plot additional scenes for Simon Says. Honestly, I did some reading through and just ended up encouraged that it didn't stink as much as I thought it would. I didn't really get the sense that too much was missing. I still think that there's something I could add, but it wasn't a horrible read. So this wasn't completed, but it wasn't a waste of time either.

As you can see, the time I spent working in April was well spent and profitable. I came out in front, not because I put in extra hours, but because the hours I did put in were used well. I worked smarter, not harder. I reached my tangible goals. In my mind, that's a win.

But what if I had tried to push to get in the 22 hours? I'm pretty sure I would have walked away angry, depressed, and burnt out. Not what I need in these upcoming months leading to Realm Makers. I need to create a sustainable, healthy work system so I put out the best work I can so I'm better set up for my pitches.

I want to redefine winning in my life. I want to understand that putting in more hours isn't better than putting in quality work time. If I can work fewer hours with better results, shouldn't I do that so I can spend more time on other things like family time and taking care of my spiritual and physical health?

ABSOLUTELY! 

So if you didn't reach your Camp goal, but still worked hard last month, be encouraged! Your efforts matter. They are steps towards whatever goal you're working towards. Be proud of yourself and what you did!

Having a healthy balance between work and life is important if you want to make writing a lifelong endeavor (or anything a lifelong endeavor, for that matter). Find what is a win for you and rejoice in it.

Onto y'all! What's a win you experienced this past month aside from Camp? What are your priorities when you sit down to write? How are you redefining winning in your life? Let me know down below!

I also wanted to remind y'all that this is the last week you can get your questions in for Jules's and my joint Q&A vlog, so if you haven't already and want to, hop over to this post and get your questions in!

Comments

  1. Um, AMEN to all of this! I’ve never truly won Camp without changing my goal either, to be honest, and I’m #teamwontfinishcampgoal as well. XD THERE IS NO SHAME.

    This was super encouraging, seeing as I’ve been having limited time to write recently, so the "quality over quantity" thing was really helpful! Awesome post, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really isn't any shame at all! It's kind of freeing, actually, to be okay with not finishing.

      I'm glad you were encouraged! Keep going strong!

      Delete
  2. Personally, a win for me was answering work phone calls while on the road. Like, I've always been worried that it would be awkward or something, but I did it Tuesday, and it went well. I was able to politely inform them that I couldn't write things down and they would have to send me an email. And everyone I talked to was chill with it. But I'm excited about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's super awesome! I'm glad people were chill because a lot of people can be just so rude. It's nice when they're not. So that's definitely a win!

      Delete
  3. I win I experienced, is getting some of my crazy work life under control and finding more time to sleep. My word count hasn't been the greatest, either. But this month has still been great! Love your post.

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, finding more time to sleep is always a win in my book!

      I hope you're able to find that lovely balance, but I'm glad that you're remembering that life can still be great even if you aren't able to get done everything you'd hoped to accomplish.

      Delete
  4. #teamwontfinishcampgoal lol

    Didn't finish my goal, but I was able to finish plotting a new story and started to figure out another idea lol

    ~Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole and I came up with it!

      That's awesome!! I'm proud of you. Plotting new stories is THE BEST!

      Delete
  5. Yes! I won my goal, but before now I've struggled quite a bit with past goals so I totally get this (this is the first time I've won Camp for a long time :P) Well done on your goals! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes, YESSSS! To all of this. What a great post, Sarah! I love taking part in Camp because it's such a more relaxed, stress-free time as opposed to that of November's NaNo. I tend to get discouraged come NaNo because it's such a difficult goal to attain in my season of life with the responsibilities I have now. But I'm okay with it. I still like to jump in when I can, but after experiencing my first NaNo in 2017, I came to the conclusion that if I give my best, but avoid the frustration & pressure I put on myself, then I'm a winner in my eyes whether I make the 50k or not. :]

    Thanks for sharing, girlie! Such a great reminder. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Camp really takes off a lot of the stress of normal NaNo, while still challenge the individual. But yes, putting in your best work matters more than getting the numbers up.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  7. I like your perspective on this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts