4-Part Writing Special// Part Four: Writing



Well, y'all, we've reached the final post for the 4-Part Writing Special. It's kind of sad if you think about it. I've enjoyed every minute of it. If you weren't able to participate this time (or even if you were and want to do it again) keep an eye out on Jules's blog for the next round. I think she's planning for it to be in February.

You can find the rest of the posts here, here, and here.

This week's post is on our writing habits in general.

~What do you do to get yourself in the story?~

I sometimes read a bit of my previous work, especially chapters I've already edited. This gets me excited about the work I'm about to put into the rest of my book. I'll often get bogged down with the idea of how much work I have left to do, but when I read over my previous chapters, I realize that all this work does matter and that it does add up. Each draft will become easier. I'll love each step of the way.

I read over the chapter I'm about to edit and make a list of the scenes/actions. I then make notes about ways that the chapter could improve. This is a great way to get my creative gears whirring. They often shut down during the editing process, so I have to find ways to be creative during this part or else my writing will suffer.

I also love reading the encouraging notes people have given me along the way. They're the fuel to keep me going.

~Do you do anything extra - art, covers, character journals, glossaries, playlists, etc. to help you with your story?~

I'm pretty sure this question was suggested with me in mind. YES, I make lots of extra things for my stories.

Art. I've made a few concept art pieces (they're not great, but they'll do for me).

This is a concept for the Jemuw. It turned out pretty good.
Mechanical pencil for the win!

Covers. I make covers for all of my stories, though I'm not comfortable sharing them here because I'm not sure about copyrights.

Costumes!!!! One of my favorite parts! I love designing costumes, though I had more of an opportunity to do so with The Herbalist's War. One of these days maybe I'll construct some of them for y'all to see. That would be totally fun!

Songs. I often write songs for my stories. I find that they help me identify the motivation of the story or the character. You can hear one of the songs I wrote, that Jules set to music, our dear friend Rose sang, and Evangeline created the cover for here.

~What is your writing process?~

Come up with an idea. Try to not fangirl too hard. Add to the idea. Try to not fangirl too hard. Make an outline and conflict chart. Try to not fangirl too hard. First draft. Try to not cry too hard. Set it aside. Try to not fangirl too hard. Edit. Try to not cry too hard. Repeat as necessary. Super scientific, I know.

~Anything you learned about yourself or your writing that you would like to share?~

I am really awful at recharging my creative batteries. They must have had a good charge since I ran off of them for five years without really recharging them. But now they've pretty much run dry and I have to work on recharging them. A note of wisdom to all y'all out there: make sure you pursue other creative outlets (reading, art, music, etc.). You don't want to run out of power. It drains your writing.

~What keeps you going when you start to worry you’ll never finish?~

There's always a finish line. You'll get to the end of the first draft eventually. Someday, you'll finish this round of edits. I always try to keep a finish line in mind. If I remember it (I usually don't) I am reminded this stage of life won't last forever. That there's another phase around the bend and that it'll be a new change in pace. The only way to reach that point is by continuing onwards.

~What inspired you to start writing, and how long have you been at it?~

I don't know what inspired me. I think Jules and I got into together and I never stopped. I started when I was eight, so I've been at it for 13+ years.

~What author is your writing style similar to?~

It greatly depends on the story. One of my current works (still a secret for a little while longer) will probably have a style similar to Lemony Snicket. But TDoaH reminds me of Donita K. Paul, with maybe a bit of Brian Jacques. And maybe a dash of every other fantasy writer I've read so far.

~What writing goals do you set, and how do you reward yourself for meeting them?~

I usually set goals specific to where I am in life and what point I am with my writing. Right now, I'm focusing on edits (until November, of course) so I try to edit one chapter a day. Sometimes I get a little more, sometimes a little less, but it averages out to be about one chapter/day.

I'm really awful at rewarding myself, though. I'm usually like "okay, great job, now onto the next step." I really should get into a habit of rewarding myself for a good job because no one else will. I'm my own boss. No one is going to give me an award or raise for a job well done. That's my job. So I think getting myself a new book would be a good reward for the bigger accomplishments. I used to love getting a milkshake or frappuccino after an achievement, but I'm not a huge fan of sweet things anymore. Books are a far better alternative. Though if someone wants to take me out for ice cream, I'm 100000% for it (that was a subtle hint, everyone).

~What does a regular writing day look like for you?~

I have about 0% consistency in my writing life, mostly due to circumstances outside of my control. I usually write in the mornings, because that is when my brain is still sort of fresh. I'll have coffee already in my system. I'll set the day's goals and get right down to them. Right now, I have editing goals. I want to edit about one chapter a day for this month. So I make the goal, I read through the chapter I want to edit, make a list of the scenes, and then I make notes about how the scenes could be improved upon. Sometimes I might even take out parts if they don't work for me.

I then usually get down to the editing part. This involves a lot of sighing and wishing that I was doing anything but editing. But I do my best to power through. If I'm having a really off day, I'll take it outside if it's nice. Or I might go into my bedroom and work instead. Just something to change the scenery. Except, of course, when I'm working at the hospital. But one could say that's a change of scenery as well. I wouldn't say that, but some would.

~How many ideas do you currently have saved on your computer/flash drive?~

After a rough count, I have about sixteen ideas for novels only. Way more than that if you add in the story stories, songs, flash fiction, undecideds, and other projects. Kind of sad when I think I have only seven finished stories. But I guess that's pretty good since two of the unfinished ones are just waiting to get started. That's kind of cool. Also, two others are sitting on the backburner. I really want to tell those stories, just not in the way I originally envisioned them. 

Well, there you have it! My style of writing. You're probably bored to tears. If so, please go check out the other participants in this special. They're bound to make you excited about writing again ('cause they're amazing people with amazing stories to tell). 

Carol


Comments

  1. ICE CREAM??? *grabs keys* I'M ON MY WAAAAAAYYYYY

    But seriously, that writing process was great! Fangirling over your own story...it's real...

    I wish I could write in the late mornings, but with work, that just won't happen. (I guess it's a good thing most of my mental energy is used at work?? And then I can recharge at home by playing the banjo and writing??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, don't mess with me!

      IKR! I thought it was a fun way to describe my writing process.

      Yeah, it's just what I'm able to do. I sit in a hospital for two hours most mornings with nothing better to do, so I may as well write.

      Delete
  2. THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!!! I love the drawing of the dragon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had a ton of fun drawing it. It's one of the few drawings of mine that looks good.

      Delete
  3. Costumes and songs, huh? That's really cool! I love costumes :)

    Please don't feel bad for having 0% consistency - a lot of us are having the same problem. Particularly us adult writers.

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I love both, especially costume design.

      Oh, I didn't mean I felt bad about it! I hope it didn't come across that way. I know that what I'm doing is important and that sometimes writing has to take a backseat. There's nothing bad or wrong with that!

      Delete
  4. Aww! The Jemuw looks so cute/ferocious! I want to see more of the costumes you've designed. :)

    HAHAHA! I love your writing process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's pretty awesome. I'll probably share some of my designs in the future. I'm working on a new one right now, but it's just in my head at the moment.

      IKR! It's so mathematical and everyone should follow it!

      Delete
  5. MECHANICAL PENCILS FOR THE WIN!!!

    Okay, so I legit listened to that song your friends performed for you and OHMIGOSH IT'S SO AMAAAAAZING!!! *flails*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a pretty awesome medium!

      *Flails with you* IKR!!! It's awesome!

      Delete
    2. Pardon moi for interrupting...but I heard someone mention a certain song. And I just want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I love hearing that others like my work. I know I didn't do /all/ of it, but it still makes me happy, nonetheless. :) Our work is paid off!

      Delete
    3. YOU'RE SO WELCOME. I am amazed by your talent - it's just spectacular and lovely and wonderful and aaaahhh!!!

      Delete
  6. ZIS BE SO COOL. You write songs! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get ready pretty much like you do (oops, I guess I wasn't supposed to tell you that since you have to read that on my yet-unwritten blog.) Loved your drawing. Wish I could draw dragons like that. And you write SONGS. Color me green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SPOILERS!!!!

      Thanks, but don't be green! Remember, God gives us all special talents and none is lesser than the other!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts