Writing Fuel: Chocolate Muffins


Y'all asked for it, so I'm giving it to you: a recipe for a writing snack. Not only that, but I'm going to try and keep it fairly healthy. This recipe is delicious, filling, and full of nutrients. It's also easy to prepare and it makes a ton (so your family can indulge too if you're so inclined to share). A win-win for writers.

I found the original recipe here. They were good, but I felt like there were several changes I could make to it. I wanted it to have more of a chocolatey flavor and less sweet (I'm not a huge fan of overly sweet things). I upped the cocoa powder, added chocolate chips, and cut out the sugar. I also baked them in silicone muffin cups instead of paper, which helps retain the moisture. The result was sooooo much better! The texture was great and the taste was spot on! I'm impressed I managed to get pictures before they were gobbled up!

Ingredients:

4 overripe bananas. My family usually throws the overripe bananas into the freezer for occasions like this. When I need them, I pull out however many I need and microwave them until they're thawed.

8 eggs. Protein, y'all.

1 cup plain greek yogurt. The original recipe says you can substitute applesauce for this if you want them dairy free, but I wanted the extra protein in mine, so I left it the way it was.

1 tsp vanilla

4 cups oats, ground into a flour. I used the blender for this, splitting it into two batches.

1 cup cocoa powder. I know this sounds like a lot, but trust me it's necessary.

1 tsp. salt

1 Tbsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1 cup chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 24 muffin tins. You can use paper liners or silicone ones (I think these ones are the ones I have). You might also have some batter left over, so you can either line a few extra muffin tins or find another small pan to use. I have a whole arsenal of silicone pans, so I pulled out my heart shaped ones and filled what I could with what I had left over. Those were adorable. You can use a mini loaf pan, mini bundt cake pan, or whatever you have on hand. If they're metal, make sure you spray them before you fill them.

Peel and mash the bananas. I put them into my stand mixer and beat them for a minute or two. You can go ahead and blend up the oats while you're doing this. Add the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla to the banana mixture. Blend well.

Pour the oats, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and baking soda over the top. Mix well.

Add the chocolate chips and stir until combined.

Pour into the tins and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (with the exception of melted chocolate all over it). Remove from pan and enjoy!

I highly recommend you heat these up before you eat them. They're not nearly as delicious cool.

I hope you enjoy this recipe! Are there any specific kinds of recipes you want me to explore? I'm happy to experiment with just about anything, so ask away!

Comments

  1. You had me at chocolate, but when I saw they were healthy, too, I got excited!! I love finding healthy recipes, especially involving chocolate like my granola. (Which I'm currently eating as I type this. XD)

    The two things I'm hesitant on are eight eggs because we eat a lot of eggs in this house, pretty much every morning. And the greek yogurt. I can't have dairy without taking medicine, but I don't know if it would bother me cooked. I might do apple sauce. Lol, I'm all over the place. XD

    Those muffins look so good, though! I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing! <3

    ~Ivie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love healthy recipes too. Except for the coconut flour pancakes I made a few weeks ago. Those were beyond awful. Only maple syrup could redeem that disaster.

      Definitely use the applesauce and let me know how it goes. I'm very curious to see if it works or not. As far as the eggs go, you could cut the recipe in half if you want and only use four. That would probably still make about fifteen muffins, which is plenty if you only want them for one meal. I have a LOT of very hungry individuals in my house and I also want breakfast/dessert options for most of the week, so I usually just stick with the original. Plus, we have chickens and not many of us eat eggs by themselves, so we have lots of them laying around.

      Delete
    2. Don't get me started on healthy pancakes. They don't exist. XD

      I will let you know how it goes. We don't have chickens, though we probably would if we lived on more land. XD I would probably half the recipe, but I think it would be a pretty decent amount.

      Delete
    3. No, they don't. I was like "you know what? I rarely eat pancakes. When I do, they better be unhealthy and covered in maple syrup."

      Yeah, I think it's still a good sized batch.

      Delete
  2. Nom nom, these muffins look delicious, Sarah!!

    I too was surprised at the amount of egg in it. I don't think I've ever used that many eggs in a recipe before...

    Definitely going to have to try these!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely a lot of eggs. I think the reason for that is the mom who wrote the original recipe was trying to replace scrambled eggs for her children that morning. She's very interested in making sure they have plenty of protein for breakfast. Hence the amount of eggs. Also, when you don't use regular flour, you have to increase what binding agent you use because there's no longer any gluten holding it together.

      Plus it makes a ginormous amount of food. I made them several days ago and I still have half a dozen left. That's with my brother and I gorging ourselves whenever we feel like it (we both weight lift and consider this good fuel for after a lifting session because of the amount of protein in them). So feel free to cut it in half if you want. I don't think it would change much, except the amount of eggs wouldn't be so astronomical.

      Delete
  3. My mom makes these! They are delicious. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I need to try these! Just found your blog and binge reading a bunch of your posts!

    www.letmecrossover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesomeness! I'm glad you found it! And I definitely hope you enjoy these. Feel free to modify them in anyway that makes them the best for you and check out the original recipe for all the modifications she suggested!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts