5 Reasons I Love Camp NaNo + Question Call


I'm back, y'all! I got back from a week-long missions trip to Belize last Monday! I meant to get back to the blogging life last Tuesday, but I needed some extra time away to get healthy, so I took it. I hope to get back to reading y'all's posts now that I'm feeling a bit better.

I'm planning on writing a post about my trip and I'd love to answer any questions that you might have about it. Feel free to leave as many as you'd like in the comments and I'll try to answer them!

Today I decided to write a little bit about Camp NaNo seeing as it's just around the corner. #eek

It's no secret around here that I love the NaNo events. Three times a year, us introverted writers come crawling out of our holes to do something completely out of the ordinary for us. We interact in a big way, both online and in person. While I do love the main NaNoWriMo event, I love Camp NaNo even more. Here are five reasons why!

~Community~

I've written about the community of writers before. It's one of my favorite parts of writing. Despite our reputation for being cloistered introverts, we strive to help each other become better writers and better people through our uplifting words and advice.

The cabins are soooo awesome for this because it gives us cool people the opportunity to talk things out and celebrate with one another when we hit milestones. We also get the opportunity to urge one another on when we hit rough patches. Many times we've virtually carried each other over the finish line. It's pretty awesome and is something NaNo proper misses out on. The forums have nothing on the cabins!

~Realistic Goals~

Let's face it: not everyone has the time/motivation/ability/desire to write 50k words in a month. For some of us, it's not realistic. Camp NaNo offers the chance to lower or raise the goal depending on what you think you're able to accomplish. Think you can only write 10k this month? That's great! Put that as your goal! Want to try your hand at writing 100k in a month? Wow, you're insane, but sure, go ahead!

Whatever your goals or abilities are, Camp NaNo is willing to work with you. It's pretty awesome! I also love that you can change your goal as you go along. If you feel like you can push yourself harder, you can raise it, or if you feel like you aren't going to reach your goal, you can lower it. It's pretty awesome!

~The Non-Writing Geekiness~

The Order of the Pen has two Camp NaNo traditions. 1) the Change-Avenger-Movies-Quotes-to-Writerly-Wisdom tradition and the 2) #writeeverythingasahashtag tradition (which Evangeline refuses to participate in for some reason. That's cool. I write enough hashtags to cover for her). #itsawesome 

The cabins provide an epic way to geek out over other things besides just our writing (though that is a big deal). I really love the camaraderie that you find in the cabins. Again, the forums on the main site just don't come close to the epicness. 

~Flexibility~

Working on anything but a first draft? Great! You can join right in! I love that Camp allows you to work on editing, plays, poems, songs, or whatever other kinds of writing projects you feel like working on.

Last July I was working on edits so I set an hour goal. I started with 40 hours, but I had to change it several times because #lifehappened. I think I ended with 30 hours. That flexibility was so nice to have (or else I would have lost completely).

~Opportunities~


Okay, so this is more from a personal experience rather than something everyone experiences. But, I suppose, if you keep your eyes open, opportunities can spring into your lap. You just have to know how to ask. 

Two of The Order of the Pen members were first guests of our cabin before they became members. We got to hang out, learn more about them, then as the month came to a close, we couldn't see ourselves without them in our group, so we invited both of them. Camp NaNo's cabins gave us the opportunity to get to know these awesome people. Who knows what might be waiting around the corner. Collabs? Critique partners? Someone who has answers for your particular struggle? There's a whole world of opportunities waiting out there. Just reach out!

I hope you enjoyed my list of reasons why I love Camp! No, I wasn't paid to be an advertiser. I just love the program that much!

Do you love Camp NaNo? How many times have you participated in it? Are you doing it this time around? What are some of the reasons you love it? Do you have any questions you'd like me to answer about my missions trip?

Comments

  1. I'm doing it this round, and I do love it as well!
    I like it because it's a very good motivator, and I sometimes struggle with motivation. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! What's your goal?

      The motivation is awesome. I love the tracker and watching it go up!

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure yet... I was thinking maybe around 30k for this round.

      Delete
  2. I love Camp NaNo. But as my friends know, I can get a little...insane....on forums. I really don't know why, tbh. Just something about it makes the fangirl, hashtagian, spammer in me go wild.

    But I'm totally doing it this month. Not writing anything, just editing.

    Which reminds me I probably need to sign in and get set up for a cabin and a project and all that. IS MARCH REALLY THIS CLOSE TO BEING OVER???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try to not overdose on black tea and sugar this time around, please. I worry about you.

      I have a cabin slot waiting for you!!

      Delete
    2. I forgot how to do the cabin selection thing again....

      HEY! I'm getting better, you have to admit. Right???

      Delete
    3. No worries, I was able to send you an invite.

      Yep, you're doing better!

      Delete
  3. I'm doing it this round! <3 I have a goal of 70k for Pentegreens book 2...I'm crazy, but we'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's super awesome! I hope you do well!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and also questions! Yikes, so sorry to miss that the first time around!

      -Why did you go to Belize?
      -What was the greatest experience while you were there?
      -What was the weirdest thing that happened?
      -What was the most memorable dish you ate (because let's face it, foreign food is always an adventure)?

      Delete
  4. I'm horrible at Nano, and it doesn't really work for me.

    How was the weather in Belize?
    What kind of food did you eat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that's awesome. Knowing how you work is the first step to getting things done!!

      Thanks for your questions!

      Delete
  5. I participated for the first time last July, as part of Jane Maree's Fellowship of the Keyboards cabin (which is where I am again this April). We also have a couple of traditions - one is that our profile picture is one of our MC and not of us! (I discovered that I like avatar building, it's now part of my aesthetics that I like to do for stories!!)

    I love the idea of Camp NaNo much better than a regular NaNo (even though I've never done a NaNo yet), simply because of the idea of cabins and the community that it brings. I dearly loved being part of the Fellowship last year because I had loads of fun with that group of campers and they were a super big help (even though my draft collapsed halfway through).

    I love the flexible goals thing too. With NaNo that really isn't possible, which drives me nuts. I like having control over my goals, not having them set for me.

    Awesome post, Sarah!! I greatly greatly enjoyed it!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    P.S. My NaNo name is RebellingCatherine, in case you decide to stalk me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome! I'm glad you had a great experience and I'm thrilled that you're doing it again! I really love the cabins too. They're so much fun.

      I'll definitely stalk you throughout the month! Can't wait to see what you're able to accomplish!

      Delete
  6. Despite getting all enthusiastic over Three Sisters since starting the WIP special, I'm actually in the anything-but-a-first-draft camp this time around! My goal is about 20 hours... on assessments. :| (I think I'm set up for invites? if it's an OotP cabin again? :)

    And the community is definitely better in the cabins than in the forums. (Plus, I had an awesome cabin... ;P) I'd never succeeded in Camp until I joined a cabin, either!

    What surprised you most about Belize? What was the most dangerous thing about your trip? (I'm thinking of the taxi drivers in, say, India... anything like that??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great goal! I sent you an invite!

      YES!! Cabins are awesome. I don't think Camp would be the same without them!

      Delete
  7. I'm doing Camp NaNo for the first time next month and I'm so excited!!! My cabin is pretty epic - I only knew, like, two of my cabin mates, but it's so fun making new friends. xD

    Great post, Sarah!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome! I'm glad you're giving it a shot.

      Making new friends is one of the best parts about Camp! I hope you have a great month of fellowship!

      Delete
  8. "Want to try your hand at writing 100k in a month? Wow, you're insane, but sure, go ahead!"
    This line just cracked me up. XD I'm doing Camp NaNo for the first time and I'm a little nervous. Any tips from an expert such as yourself?

    ~ Ella Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Yeah.

      That's so awesome! I hope you have a great month. I have a few tips that might help:

      1. Find cabin mates that you want to spend the entire month with. These are going to be the people who cheer you on and potentially drag across the finish line. You need encouraging people in your corner and people you love to spend time with. If you want to meet new people, just go ahead with the random cabin assignment. But if you want to be with people you already know, I'd recommend you ask around and see if they still have room in their cabin. Chances are that they do, especially now that NaNo upped the limit to twenty. That's plenty of space.

      2. Set a realistic goal. Just because someone else is doing 'more' than you doesn't mean you need to. Set a goal that you know you'll be proud of at the end of the month and one that won't make you go crazy to reach. Know what you'd like to get out of the month and set your goal based off of that. For me, I set an hours goal because I wanted to get some actual butt-in-the-chair time.

      3. Have fun. Camp can be as stressful or stress-free as you want. Find ways to make things fun. Do word sprints if that's something you like/need. Geek out about the latest plot twist that you came up with. Fuss about characters. Make it fun.

      Hope this helps! Have an epic Camp!!

      Delete
    2. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE LOVELY ADVICE. I'm going to need it. XD

      Delete
  9. Nano! I decided to do it this time. :P *I'm nuts* XD XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! What's your goal? I hope you have an epic month!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts