Know the Novel Part Three// It Is Written


It's time for the final installment of the Know the Novel linkup! This one is all about how the writing went and what the plans are moving forward.

~1. Firstly, how did writing this novel go all around?~

To sum it up in one word, it was weird. It went really well. Almost too well. Aside from life-made roadblocks in the way, things kind of just went along pretty smoothly. No big low or high points. The words came when I wanted them to. Can't complain.

But that's not to say I didn't have challenges in my way. I got sick right away. That zapped my energy for nearly two weeks. I still managed to get my words in, but it wasn't always pleasant.

And basically as soon as I was feeling better, I went on a cruise and didn't write for 10 days straight, which would have been a nightmare if I hadn't planned for it. I wrote a ton of words right before, so I was pretty set. That helped me really enjoy my vacation.

Once I got back, I felt rested (what a miracle!) and was able to finish up the remaining words that week. I put in the final words the very last day, which was cutting it kind of close for me, but it's what I had to work with.

I'm really glad the story flowed the way it did or else this month would have turned out very different. 

~2. Did it turn out like you expected or completely different? And how do you feel about the outcome?~

Well, my original outline was for a 75k novel, but that material condensed a lot. I was kind of worried that I wasn't even going to have enough to write about to hit 50k, but then I added a twist that I hadn't expected, which not only got it to 50k, but I think will add another 10-20k.

So now it's just a disorderly mess that I have to clean up and I don't like it, but at least it's over 50k and the story doesn't completely stink.

Yay. 

~3. What aspect of the story did you love writing about the most? (Characters, plot, setting, prose, etc.)~

I really enjoyed delving into each of the characters' traumas. Call me sick, but I really loved seeing that part of them. The way they each dealt with their circumstances was interesting. 

~4. How about your least favorite part?~

The pantsing. This made my writing go way slower and I couldn't stand it. Like, sure, I came up with some fun things that I wouldn't have had before, but I seriously could have been done by the 15th if I didn't have to stop and think about the story every few minutes.

I'm a planner, if you couldn't tell. 

~5. What do you feel like needs the most work?~

The pacing. It was a bit slow at places, which isn't great if  you're going for a thriller. So I need to ramp up the speed and all that jazz. 

~6. How do you feel about your characters now that the novel is done? Who’s your favorite? Least favorite? Anyone surprise you? Give us all the details!~

My favorite was probably Vic, with Abuela taking a close second. Vic is such a supportive, caring person, no matter who he's with. I just love that about him. And Abuela is such a truth-speaker, it would be funny if it wasn't so blunt at times. If it's on her mind, it's on her tongue. #nofilter But she cares deeply about her family and doesn't put up with any nonsense. So's also a phenomenal cook. 

My least favorite were probably either Vio's dad or Frank (both minor characters with very little screentime, but were still very annoying). 

A few surprised me. D'Jax especially. He wasn't supposed to be a major character. He was kind of just supposed to be there as Vio's guard, but then he ended up becoming a much bigger part in the story and turned into Vio's father figure. So that was cool. 

Overall, though, I really love my characters. Each of them has a purpose to the story and I really liked that. 

~7. What’s your next plan of action with this novel?~

I'm going to set it aside until April. I have other projects that need my attention right now. I plan to reoutline the ending, then pound out the remaining 10-20k words during Camp NaNo if I have time. 

~8. If you could have your greatest dream realized for this novel, what would it be?~

I think my greatest dream for this novel is for the reader to realize that their life has value. That, no matter what they've done, they do deserve to live. So if even just one person walks away with that realization, then I'll be quite happy. 

~9. Share some of your favorite snippets!~

“I think it’s time we joined them,” D’Jax announced. “At this point, there’s no reason to keep either one of us in hiding. It’s time we go tear that city apart and find Mari.”

~~~

"You will find life again, if you’re willing to work for it.” Her gaze burned into me. “Are you?”

~~~

Mari sprinted out of the house as I pulled up. She didn’t even wait for me to open my door before ramming herself into the side of my car. Her face was aglow. 

After scratching together my papers, I shoved the door open and climbed out. “What is up with you?” I asked as I slammed the door closed. “You’re excitable. More so than usual.”

“I’m engaged!” Mari shrieked. Her hands flew around in front of my face. I supposed there was a rock on one of her fingers, but they moved too fast for me to see.

~10. Did you glean any new writing and/or life lessons from writing this novel?~

That I maybe should actually try to outline my story more than a few months in advance. And maybe get myself some Pins to help visualize the story. And maybe actually think it out a bit more. Might be a good idea.

How about y'all? How did NaNo go for you if you participated? What is one word you would use to describe your experience? What life lessons did you glean during the month?

Comments

  1. I love those snippets! And the fact that you hit 50k is amazing, considering what you all did in November. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed them!!

      And thanks! I feel pretty good with how it went, overall.

      Delete
  2. So glad this went well despite the #pantsting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic snippets! Glad Nano went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really glad it went well. It was a bit tough there for a while, but it turned out okay!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts