The Mysteriously Nameless Tag of Doom

Hey y'all! Evangeline @I Just Happened tagged me for this awesome tag. I'm not exactly sure how it came by its name, but the questions are a great deal of fun! Let's get down to them, shall we?

~What book has been on your shelf the longest?~


Shadow of His Hand by Wendy Lawton

I don't know if this book has been on my shelf the longest, but it's been there for a while. I absolutely adored this book when I was a kid. I probably read it a hundred times. The book is practically falling apart. I was obsessed with learning about WWII, which is when this book takes place. I also have the autobiography, Trapped in Hitler's Hell, which this book is based on. Both are excellent. I'd recommend them to anyone.

What is your current read, your last read, and the book you’ll read next?


Current read: The Long Patrol by Brian Jacques and Dewey, the Library Cat by somebody rather.<-- I'm totally nailing the MLA citing, aren't I?

Last read was The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale.

I have no idea what I'll read next. I'm usually just proud that I've finished a book. 

What book did everyone like, but you hated?


I don't know. Charles Dickens? The Boxcar Children (though did anyone really like those?)? 

Oh wait, I know! Elsie Dinsmore. *mic drop* I better move on before I start ranting. 

What book do you keep telling yourself you’ll read, but you probably won’t?


Probably Captives by Jill Williamson. I keep saying I'll read it at some point, but I have a few hesitations because of the reviews I've read on Amazon. If any of you have read it, please let me know what your thoughts are about it. 

What book are you saving for retirement?

Am I going to live that long? I don't know about that. Probably any crossword puzzles sitting on the shelf. Except why not start those now? 

 Last page: read it first, or wait ’til the end?

Wait until the end. Obvi. I'm not my mom. Or Monk. Just because I can figure out the details of the story before I get to the end, doesn't mean I can't enjoy the author's artwork. They put hours of hard work into it. It's the least I can do to thank them for caring that much for us.

Acknowledgement: waste of paper and ink, or interesting aside?

I don't know what I think about them. I know each and every person in the section is important to the writer and thus important to the readers, but sometimes I don't want to read them. I like well-written dedications, though.  Especially Lemony Snicket's and Rick Riordan's. Those alone are reason enough to get the books. 

Which book character would you switch places with?


Kale from The Dragon Keeper Chronicles. I mean, she gets to work with dragons All. Day. Long!! Of course, what's his face is an ungrateful, stuck-up, self-centered little jerk who I probably would have shot instead of saved, but that's beside the point. Everyone else is so much fun!!

Do you have a book that reminds you of something specific in your life? (Place, time, person?)


Jules got this book for me, along with a few other books, and wrote a special note in it. You probably can't read it, but it was super awesome to open up the book and see the note. 

Name a book that you acquired in an interesting way.


The Lost Girl of Astor Street by Stephanie Morrill

I won this book about a year ago as an ARC. So I guess that's the one book I acquired in an interesting way. 

Have you ever given a book away for a special reason to a special person?

I gave away a three-book collection of Shakespeare works to Jules a number of years ago. I found them at a used book sale and knew she liked them, so I picked them up. 

Which book has been with you most places?


Besides my Bible, probably Me, Just Different by Stephanie Morrill, but y'all probably already know that. 

Any “required reading” you hated in high school that wasn’t so bad later?


Okay, let me tell y'all a little story about my epically awesome mom. She never really made us read things we didn't like (it was probably too exhausting for her to fight with us whining kids she wanted us to enjoy reading). So, except for my one year stint at a homeschooling academy, I never really read too many books that I hated. The books that I hated during that year, I still don't like. 

Used or brand new?

Depends. Most of the books I want I have to get used, not to mention that this brokish college student can afford to go to a used book sale. The same can't be said about new bookstores. But a new book always looks so great!

Have you ever read a Dan Brown book?



Have you ever seen a movie you liked more than the book?

I'm going to go with Evangeline on this one and say Prince Caspian. Most movies, while good in their own right, pale in comparison to the book. 

Have you ever read a book that’s made you hungry, cookbooks included?

That's my secret, y'all-- I'm always hungry. <-- interestingly enough, Taylor Davis's version of the Avengers theme just started playing as I typed this. Also, I did not steal this from Jules. We're just so awesome, we thought of the same reference to answer the same question. Anyway, moving on. Yes, of course, some books have made me hungry, especially cookbooks with gorgeous pictures and any of the Brian Jacques books. That man knows how to write about food, y'all. 

Who is the person whose book advice you’ll always take?

I don't know if there's someone I agree with about books 100% of the time. So, I guess I'm the answer to this question.

Is there a book out of your comfort zone (e.g., outside your usual reading genre) that you ended up loving?

The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt series. I wasn't sure if I was going to like them, but I ended up loving them! #myfavoriteseriesever

~The Retag~

As always, if I've tagged you for this and you've already been tagged, then yay! Double tag! For this one, I tag:

Ivie @Ivie Writes

I hope y'all are able to do it!

So there you have it. I didn't have as many pictures for this tag, but I'll make up for that in the future. Fridays in December will be tag makeup posts. Except, of course, for the final Friday.

Have any of y'all read the books mentioned? Does anyone actually know who Dan Brown is? What book has a special memory to you?

Comments

  1. This so much fun to read! Thanks for tagging me. :)

    And who IS Dan Brown?? I honestly don't know either...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I can't wait to read your post!

      I actually googled him after I wrote this post. Now I know who he is. I don't think I will ever read any of his books.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tag, I've been wanting to do this one. As for Captives, it is an awesome book. Definitely for older teens because it does deal with heavy topics, such as drugs and lust, but they are portrayed in a negative way, kind of like Rebellious Writing *cough* *cough* stands for. There isn't any swearing and while it can be a bit hard to get into at first, once you're in, you're in for the long haul. I have all three books in paperback from Christmas last year. (Technically New Years because delivery delay, but shhh). I recommend it for anyone who lives sci-fi and fantasy. (Usually I'm not much of a sci-fi person, but these books were still good.)

    Now that I've talked about Captives, I will talk about your post. Awesome post! You're always hungry? I have a recipe post coming tomorrow. *wink* XD I have no idea who Dan Brown is. And I didn't like Elsie Dinesmore at first, either. I got the first book of the first series at a Birthday party. It was likes a gift bag, except we got books. I like it, but its not my favorite, either. I will stop rambling now. Sorry for the monster comment. I feel very talkative this morning. XD (Also random, but I GOT SNOW YESTERDAY! It never snows in Texas!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for your response! That was super helpful. I'll probably read them at some point, but it might be a while before I get to them.

      Gasp! You're posting a recipe! I can't wait! LOL, I am pretty much always hungry. It's weird.

      I have the entire ED series, but I only managed to get to book 14ish. I can't believe I even made it that far. The first few books are okay, but it gets worse and worse as the series progresses. I just can't stand the way this life is portrayed. In this series, everyone either becomes perfect or dies. It's just stupid.

      That's awesome! We're supposed to have a touch of snow today (it probably won't stick) along with a lot of rain. We'll see what happens.

      Delete
  3. I actually DO know who Dan Brown is. Have you ever heard of The Da Vinci Code? That's his most famous work - it was very popular ten or so years ago.
    That being said, PLEASE DON'T READ THAT BOOK. It has a lot of blasphemy, and really bad stuff in it.

    Anyway.....

    This is super embarrassing, but I haven't read any of these books *hides in shame* I really need to raid my library...

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just googled his name. I have heard of the book, but I don't know anything about it. But after what you said, I definitely won't be reading it.

      Hey, there's no shame in not knowing these books. It just means there are more books out there for you to read!

      Delete
  4. Just the title of this tag already makes me laugh. I can't believe you don't know Dan Brown though! The short parodies of his work are the best.

    x Envy
    Lost in Translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a rather amusing title, isn't it? I had a lot of fun answering the questions.

      Delete
  5. Ah, yes. By Darkness Hid. I remember that copy! I was like "I know she hates writing in books...but I'm going to go for it anyway, and maybe she'll forgive me!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes, I despise writing in books, but I'll forgive you for this one because it was awesome and so thoughtful. Plus, you wrote in pencil so it's not so bad.

      Delete
  6. ELSIE DISMORE WOW. *dies of holding in too much ranting* *you're welcome*

    (I only read the first like 3? but tHAT WAS ENOUGH)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! We should totally get together virtually and rant about ED! It looks like we would have a lot to say!

      Delete
  7. WHAT?! ... but I LOOOOVED The Boxcar Children! *wink* Well, I certainly kept reading them for enough years. :D

    And Elsie Dinsmore?! Well, okay. No, I get it. I think I enjoyed the first half of the series (because I was young and I had NEVER read anything quite so vintage and timeless) ... but then as I grew older ... and the plots and characters really started to deteriorate, yeah, I didn't enjoy them as much -- even though I pushed myself through the entire series. *cough* See, I couldn't let my parents' good money that they spent on the collection go to waste... So. Yeah.

    Blessings,
    Tarissa
    http://inthebookcase.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that. I enjoyed ED for a while. They were kind of cute and some of the history was interesting. But once I started thinking about what she was pushing and the horrible theology, I just couldn't push through. Somehow I managed to get to book twelve, but by then I was 100% done.

      Delete
    2. If you made it through book 12, that's awesome! That's a rare enough find, since most people I've ever talked to on the subject don't get that far. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts