Cliche Writing Advice Debunked: Killing Your Characters


We've all heard the phrase before: "if you're stuck, kill someone off". We've all followed it at some point in our writing lives, I'm sure. I know I have. But is this good advice? Should we go on a killing spree just because we can't think of what to do next? No, not really. Let me debunk this advice, show you three reasons why this isn't helpful in your writing, and what to do instead. I'll also show when you should take this advice.

~Unnecessary violence~

I've heard plenty of people complain about the unnecessary violence in books and how it was borderline scarring to them. Maybe that writer had a bunch of characters she didn't need and was really bored one day, so she killed them off. Come edits time, she doesn't bother to take out this useless, waste-of-words scene. What? You're willing to kill your characters, but not your darlings? Maybe that book should have gone through a harsher round of edits before you published it.

If you're not going to keep a character, simply make a note to yourself and then continue writing as if they never existed. When you go back and edit, leave this character out entirely. Just because you put a character in your story at first, doesn't mean they have to stay. Believe me, I've learned this the hard way.

~A bunch of wasted words you will have to take out later~

You're smart. You know that any death you have in your books has to push the plot forward. I'm sure you've heard of the ongoing competition between writers about body counts before? Yeah, you can throw that out of the window. I mean, sure, it's a fun running joke we all have, but it's not worth your time if it doesn't do anything for your story.

Instead, think of circumstances that would push the plot forward and work with one or more of those options. You'll end up with a much better outcome.

~With the death of your characters comes the death of your creativity~

Okay, I'm stretching the truth quite a bit here. But if you keep using the 'kill the character because I don't know what to do' tactic, you'll start missing out on actual awesome ideas that would make your story better. You also ruin the effect of death scenes that actually make a difference in your story.

Instead of immediately killing off your character(s), find ways to push your story forward without unnecessary violence. When it comes time to actually kill a character, the death will be far more compelling than if you already had a killing spree or two in your story.

~Sometimes the character has to die~

There are times where character deaths are necessary. I've had several in my books. They're all important to the story. They're the pivotal points for my MCs. It's what drives the story forward. If this is the case for your death scenes, KEEP THEM IN! They're important.

I hope this was a bit helpful for y'all. Do you have any other cliche writing advice you want me to debunk? Also, what are your thoughts on the header? I'm working on a new color theme. I'm mostly curious about the blue lettering. Does it come out well? Or should it be bolder/darker/larger/etc.? I'm also hoping to add some texture to the background. I'm happy to take whatever feedback you might have!

Do you have character deaths? How do they affect your story (no spoilers, please)? What are things you pursued instead of killing sprees because you knew it was better for your story?

Comments

  1. I tend to kill off lots of characters--because it's what the story calls for. I'm also writing stories that show how horrific war is, but I try not to kill people off just to show that war is bad. (Looking at you, Hunger Games...) I agree with you, though. Avoid the violence unless it's completely necessary. (Still looking at you, Hunger Games...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You're doing it right instead of killing characters needlessly!

      Delete
  2. YES, there has to be a legit reason someone dies in a book!

    These are all super helpful points, Sarah! And I think it would be cool if you did a post on the writing advice that says "Write what you know." But you do whatever - just throwing it out there! ;)

    Lila - The Red-Hooded Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Or else it just gets watered down!

      That's a great suggestion! I'll work on 'debunking' it!

      Delete
  3. I rarely kill off characters.... only has happened once, and that was for SOI (moving plot forward). I can't bear to do it, I'm too much of a mommy. And I find character body counts to be sickening anyway....who am I kidding, death is sickening, no matter what.

    As for the post header, I think the purple looked andcame through a lot better than the blue. When using a medium light background like that, dark colors look better than medium.

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, being a mommy to your characters is part of your job. You've got to take care of them. No one else is!

      Great points! I'll make sure to work on that!

      Delete
  4. I loved this post so much! Character deaths can actually be enjoyable to write, but they can get tiresome for the reader if there are too many/unnecessary ones. Could you do a post about how a villain or antagonist isn't necessary? I don't know, just a suggestion.

    ~ Ella Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      I could definitely try to write one. There are many stories where there isn't an official 'antagonist'. The protagonist can certainly fill that role.

      Delete
  5. I kill off lots of characters. Problem is, they never stay dead. (Maybe I've been watching too many Marvel movies??) But I do need to make sure their "deaths" have a reason.

    Question: is "they died because there's a big war and you don't survive just because you are a named character with a role" a good reason to kill off a character? Because I get tired of all these epic war scenes, and everyone lives because they're a core group of characters and everything. Sometimes I kill off a character because, you know, trying to keep things realistic...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's definitely a good reason. Realistically, not everyone is going to walk away from /every/ battle they face. Sooner or later, someone is going to die in battle.

      Delete
    2. Exactly. I have a few characters die, cause "not everyone will survive" and it also gives the remaining characters a reason to keep fighting, before the enemy kills them all.

      Delete
  6. I actually... hardly ever kill my characters? I mean, a lot of my older stories require parents dying at the start or in the backstory (*dies as well because wOW CLICHE MUCH), but I've sometimes wondered if I'm a less dedicated writer because I don't have emotional death scenes! Glad to hear that's not [necessarily] so. ;)
    - Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! You aren't less of a writer just because you don't kill off characters. There's nothing wrong with that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts