My Writing Process// Part Five: Redirection


Welcome to part five of my writing process series! I'm glad you could join me today. If you missed the past few weeks, here are the links:

Growing the Idea
Outlining
Research and Development
First Drafting

This week we're talking about when the story that you've spent so much time working on doesn't work out and you need some redirection. It's different than the previous posts as I won't be showing you how I do things, but rather give you encouragement when you have to step away from a story.

Sometimes the story doesn't work. You'll start writing and find yourself hitting a wall. No matter how hard you try, the story just won't cooperate. You get frustrated and thrust the story aside. Or gently set it aside, depending on how you feel about it.

I've only had this happen once in my life since I decided to take writing seriously, but it was a struggle. This was when my tried and true rules failed me (demonstrating that all writing rules can and will be broken).

It was in 2015 when I started writing a two-part series called The Agents of Orrania. The books were titled Overcome and Reconcile. I followed all of my steps. I added details to it for years. I outlined it (even made a huge outline poster for it). I planned to write it quickly, with the second book following shortly after.

I started in February 2015. I think I quit around April, with a fraction of the story written. I loved the characters. I loved the concepts. I didn't love the story. I have no idea, really, what went wrong except it wasn't my story to tell. At least, not yet.

I still believe I will write this story, just in a different way. I think I'm still learning what the titles mean to their fullest extent. They're meaningful to me and I want to do them justice. Maybe I just haven't overcome my struggles yet, or I haven't learned to reconcile who I am now in contrast to who I used to be.

So I set the story aside. It's still tucked away in a folder on my flash drive. I haven't had any motivation to pick it up again. I did think of a way to use the titles again, but I don't think that idea works either. Whatever happens to it, I know setting it aside was for the best, as I was able to spend the rest of the year focusing on my second trilogy. I don't regret a thing.

For those of you who've set aside stories, be encouraged. It isn't necessarily forever, but even if it is, it's not a bad thing. You will open up more time to focus on stories you need to tell the world. That's wonderful! Embrace that! Go chase other stories. You never know what you might gain when you let something else go.

Next week, I'll post the final installment of this series. I hope it gave you some ideas to add to your process.

Have you ever had to set aside a story? Did it hurt? What were you able to accomplish after letting it go? 

Comments

  1. I set Fire Horse aside, which while I was sad, I knew I just wasn't able to write it with the ability it called for. Now that I've grown as a writer, I might be able to pull it off (probably won't get to it for another year at least, though). But I also put Evone Histories (now Char ne Rayft) down for over two years to write Betrayal and Bravery.

    I think, overall, putting these books away has been good for me. I will return someday, but putting them on hold while I wrote the Betrayal and Bravery trilogy (as well as Rauladin) was a great decision. I've grown as a writer, have gotten a number of finished books under my belt, and can return once I'm better equipped to tackle those stories.

    Thanks, Sarah, for all your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I love both Fire Horse and the Evone histories, it was definitely a good choice to focus on your current stories

      Delete
  2. I don't know if I've ever had to set aside a story for long. The past couple weeks I was in a writing slump and decided I would give my mind the break until the New Year. Now I'm trying to write every day for thirty minutes and so far, I'm excited!

    It can be hard to have to set a story aside, though, especially when its something we've wanted to write. I tend to go back and forth on three main stories right now, which is Truth Seekers (still finding the new name), Guardians, and Broken.

    Thank you for this post! It's very encouraging. And your post header is very pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A break is super helpful during a writing sound.

      Thank you! I really liked the picture.

      Delete
  3. I've set aside tons of stories. :(

    It's sad but needed sometimes. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can be tough, especially if you put in a lot of time and effort into it. But it's good sometimes. I'm glad you liked this post.

      Delete
  4. GAHHHH

    This is the story of my writing life.

    I can't tell you how many times I've set aside a story for one reason or another. The most recent was actually SOI earlier this year. Like you said, I loved my characters but I hated the story. So I set it aside between July and October and let it stew. I like it now...I just need motivation to complete it now.

    Thank you for this post, Sarah!!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you're enjoying it now! You can totally finish it! The feeling you get after finishing a book is one of the best rewards ever!

      Delete
  5. Ohh, I've set a story aside (a duology, actually), and it definitely hurts. But I think it was a smart choice. I grew a lot and learned a lot through the duology... but it's not the project that I should move forward with. :/

    Lovely post, Sarah! <3

    katie grace
    a writer's faith

    (and this is extremely random, but I really love the font you use in posts. XD #fontsnob)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I'm glad that you were able to learn a lot from your books, even if you're not going to focus on them right now

      Lol! Thanks! I never really thought about it before, but it is a pretty nice font.

      Delete
  6. I’ve set aside lots of books over the years. The hardest one, I think, was a very, very personal project that I was trying to do in April for Camp NaNo. It just got to be too much emotionally and I couldn’t do it anymore.

    Then this summer I set aside my original idea for the Rooglewood Contest. That turned out to be a good thing, though, because the one I ended up writing was SOOOO much better.

    This was a very encouraging and lovely post. Thank you for writing it :)

    Faith
    thefloridsword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I totally get setting aside personal stories. I had an idea for a story covering struggles I was going through. I doubt it'll be written any time soon, if at all.

      I'm glad you liked your second story better! It's always awesome to see an improved variation on the same concept.

      I'm glad you found this post encouraging. That was my hope when I wrote it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts