5-Part WIP Special// Part Two: Setting



Welcome to week two of the 5-Part Writing Special! If you haven't yet read week one's post, you can check it out here.

This week is all about the world/setting of our stories. I'm so excited about this since my story world is possibly one of the coolest parts of the entire story!

~What would we immediately notice upon stepping into your storyworld?  (What would stand out the most?)~


I'm not sure what the first thing one would notice is. Maybe that it's not too much different than our world today, except that it's pretty industrialized. There are a lot of laboratories and factories around. More so than today. So that's probably the first thing. 

Other than that, some of the countries have different names. That might throw some people off. 

~What place in this world (Earth) reminds you most of your world? (Or provide a picture that you think best defines your story world.)~

Well, my storyworld is on Earth, so that's easy enough. I have three main locations: New Zealand (renamed Siren (not overly thrilled with the name, so it'll probably change in the revisions)), Biltmore (which is now a military base), and a cabin in the mountains. 




~Are there specific foods/dining habits particular to this world?~

We mostly encounter your basic 'military' food, which can be anything from your basic slop to pretty decent food, served cafeteria style. There's a party at one point, where Annie doesn't really eat because the villain decided to ruin the event. So while I didn't exactly come up with specific foods, eating is a big part of the story. 

~Are there biases in your world, and how do they define the people? Is there a class structure and how would it affect the characters?~

One of the biggest biases in my world is the conflict between the herbalists and the pharmacists. Obviously, the pharmacists aren't thrilled that their livelihood is no longer a viable occupation. Of course, that's not the herbalist's fault, but they don't care. They still blame them. Some even torture the herbalists to get information about the others in their profession. 

~What belief structures/ worldviews do your characters hold?  What are some philosophies of your story?~

Annie and Garrett are both Christians. I also have several atheists and a few who waver between the two. Their beliefs are big motivations for them. I think that was one of my favorite parts to write was their faith. Annie and Garrett both built each other up during the entire story. When one faltered, the other reminded them of the gospel. I loved that. 

~Describe the general infrastructure (i.e., cities and what are those like?)  What are the main locations in your story?  (Bonus points: include a map.)~

Apparently, the New York Fashion Show is still a hot spot for fashion designers. At least, that's what Clary tells me. We don't spend any time in cities during the story. Mostly, they spend time on military bases and in the country. So I guess the infrastructure consists mostly durable, practical, fortified buildings. 

Again, the main location is the NC mountains. A little time is spent in New Zealand, but not much. 

~How is trade carried out through the story world, and how do the cities and nations interact with each other?~

Trade is something I haven't yet covered in my story. Countries interact in about the same way they do now. Some share information and technology, while others want to hoard it for themselves.

~Are there any special or unique traditions or ceremonies that your world is known for?~


There aren't any that I can think of, aside from what we already have in our modern day world. 

~Are there any significant historical events which affected the way your story world is now?~

There was the swift rise in dependence on drugs, followed by its sudden demise. After they were considered obsolete, the world had to quickly find an alternative. Those who still practiced using herbs for healing are in high demand and any country who has at least one herbalist under their command become worldwide powerhouses.

~What do you love most about your world?~

I'm not entirely sure. There are lots of things I loved about this world, but I think the thing I loved the most was that I could actually portray Christian faith. I'm not fond of allegorical religions that we often find in fantasies and things of that nature. I find that most misrepresent God in one way or another, even with the best of intentions. Because this world is based in our real world, I could use what He reveals about Himself in His Word without having to make something completely new.

Make sure you check out the rest of the participants' posts. In the weeks to come, I will post the links to their posts as they come out, but I'm not able to this week. As I mentioned in my February Wrap-Up post, I won't be able to respond to comments for a little while longer, but I will catch up with them when I return. 


What did you think? Would you want to spend time in this storyworld? Do you wish you were an herbalist? Did you read the rest of the participants' posts? Make sure you check them out!

Comments

  1. This sounds so interesting!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so clean and aesthetic, and I LOVE the herbalist idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool, Sarah!!!

    Ugh. Cafeteria food. I have memories of that stuff...*shudders*

    I feel you on the allegorical religion thing. It can get super confusing especially when authors take things apart and stick threads in different spots (*cough Tolkien cough*). Mine is a hidden Catholicism with different terms for everything (but it's probably easily recognizable...).

    Can't wait for the next post!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not all of them are awful, but all of them lack /something/ in them.

      Delete
  4. WOW. Your story world sounds sooooooooo cool. I love that you're incorporating Christianity. that Annie and Garrett encourage each other in the Lord. Makes me want to read this SO BAD.

    Lila @ The Red-Hooded Writer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds really good, and I like that settings are familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that made life a bit easier while keeping it fun!

      Delete
  6. The way Annie and Garrett build each other up is so perfect and special and wonderful and ohh my heart....this book...

    But we really need to plan a trip to Biltmore...maybe this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! I just love that element!!

      We definitely should!! That would be awesome!

      Delete
  7. New Zealand!!! Then I could love your story world. I would really like to go there for a week or so.

    Your answer for the last question was great, Sarah! That is a nice change I suppose from trying to find a way to bring the gospel into a fantasy world. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really loved putting the gospel into the story in its true form.

      Delete
  8. *puppy eyes* Can I please have this now? I love how you were able to incorporate God in your story. I have an idea now that I can actually incorporate Christ into, but I currently have to wait on that one. WHY!
    Anyway, these herbalists sound like people I want to meet. So... give me the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how much I want this book in the hands of others. I wish any problems with it could magically clean up so I could publish it!

      Delete
  9. I want to see the dystopian New Zealand!!

    And yes - fantasy allegorical religions are difficult - and so much of worldbuilding is, realistically, entwined with religion, and since I'm not going to create a false religion, that cramps my worldbuilding. :| I hope dystopian makes it easier to portray the truth in your writing! :)
    - Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, there isn't much time spent there, but it was fun! I did a little research about it, but not a lot. I'll definitely have to do more when I start edits.

      Yes, it was an awesome feeling. I loved just showing the real gospel without having to 'hype' it up or change it to make it 'new'. There's no need. The gospel is for everyone and for every time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts