March Wrap-Up/April Goals



How is the month over already? It feels like we just started this month? I guess that's what happens when you spend the entire month either away from home or sick. But it was an awesome month, filled with lots of writing and blogging! Here's a quick recap.

~Writing~


1. Finish Draft Four of tDoaH

As I predicted, I didn't finish draft four, but I did get a lot of work done on it! I was so thrilled. I had a short burn-out at the beginning of the month, but I switched up tactics and wrote out a list of notes about each chapter. I listed what part of Laylah's character arc it fell under, what specific parts were important to draw out, and how it fits into the overall plot. I ended up with about ten pages of notes! That was a huge help with motivation. I was able to see that each chapter has a purpose now, which is a big deal for me! And I found several places that could use new scenes, which is amazing.

After a week away from it while I was in Belize, I was able to get back with fresh perspective and determination. I didn't get super far because I was absorbed with getting stuff ready for the last post in the 5-Part Writing Special, but that's okay. I'm just really happy with what I was able to do.

2. Work on SSaS

SSaS is going pretty well now. It started off slow because I kept forgetting check and see if Jules wrote anything. Hehe. Sorry, Jules. I had to relearn how to write with someone else. It doesn't help that it's in Google Docs. I'm not used to it. But anyway, I put it in my habit tracker, so I actually got some work on it! It's sooooo much fun!

3. Participate in Jules's 5-Part Writing Special

I was so thrilled to share details about The Herbalist's War with y'all during the 5-Part Writing Special. Keep an eye on Jules's blog for her next round if you want to participate in this awesome event. I think she's going to do one around October. *crosses fingers*

If you haven't participated before, you definitely should (and you should do it again, if you have). It's so much fun and everything. You get to help suggest questions, geek out about your stories, and have everyone drool over the details while you're laughing hysterically because they're in suspense and there's nothing they can do about it.<-- this may or may not have been my reaction the entire month... #sorrynotsorry

~Reading~

I read a few books this past month, but not as many as I wanted. 

A Time to Die by Nadine Brandes. Four stars. This was a book I took to Belize. It was kind of fun getting up at five and reading in the kitchen with a cup of coffee while waiting for all the slackers to get up. Parts of it felt a little slow to me, and some of the details seem strange, but I've heard that the next two books are awesome, so I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I really like Parvin and the theme (finding shalom) throughout the story. I really connected with both. Some parts hit me a little close to home, but I won't mention them for sake of spoilers. Anyway, a great book!

The Westminster Shorter Catechism for Study Classes by G.I. Williamson. A devotional my family used for family worship. Barely three stars. I'm debating if I want to review this book or not. It might be a rant fest if I do. 

I started rereading The Hobbit, but I haven't finished it yet. Despite my absolute love for all things Tolkien, he isn't the easiest for me to read. So it'll probably take me a little while to finish it.



Seeing as April is Camp NaNo, my goals are based on that. I would like to work for at least 40 hours and try to knock out as many projects as I can. I have three (actually four) in my work queue, but the first two are my main priorities.

1. Finish draft four of The Dawn of a Hero

I'm almost done with this. It'll probably take around 20-30-ish hours. I'm loving it so far. For the first time, I'm not irritated with it. Things are actually where they're supposed to be and details are falling into place.

2. Finish my 2017 NaNo novel. 

Again, I'm almost done with this. I have around 13-ish chapters left (*edit* 7-ish, now that I'm partway through the month). I estimate that it'll take me around 10 hours to finish, but it might be longer, depending on how much longer it is.

3. Start the rewrite of The Fall of Chemmit

I have IDEAS for this thing now! Now it's not just the second book that just exists to bridge between book one and three of the trilogy. It has a purpose and that makes me excited! If I have any time left, I'll do some planning work on this one. If my lowest estimations are close to correct, I'll have around 8-10 hours left to work with it. That should be plenty to make a new outline and get a plan in place. If I'm wrong, I might still be able to get a little work done on it. We'll see.

4. Work on details for NaNoWriMo 2018 project. 

If I have any time left, I want to work on adding stuff to my new project. I don't know if I will or not, but it doesn't hurt to throw this goal in here. I have the beginnings of an outline done. I just need to add more bulk to it, get some character motivations, and things like that added. I'm not overly worried about getting this planned so soon, seeing as NaNo is seven months away, but I'm just so excited about it!

So anyway, those are my priorities this month. I'm really excited about getting down to work. I hope that this doesn't completely overwhelm me (like it did back in July when I shot for the same goal). I think I have a plan in place so that I can focus on writing, editing, and schoolwork without overworking myself. It's working so far. Now I'll just have to stick with it with a vengeance.

All the high-fives to those who are participating in Camp this time 'round!!! I hope y'all nail those goals of yours and that your cabin mates are amazing. If any of y'all are still needing a cabin (probably aren't, seeing as we're well into the first week already), The Order of the Pen still has some space. If you're willing to put up with a bunch of nuts, you're welcome to join us!

So yeah, that's what I've been up to in the writing world and what I'm hoping to do this month. Hopefully, I can squeeze in some reading while I'm at it! Oh, and continue writing SSaS (if Jules's and my brains don't explode first).

I hope y'all had a great March and that April is just as amazing (if not more so!). What are some of your goals? Are any of you participating in Camp? How is your cabin so far? 

Comments

  1. Awesome wrap-up, Sarah!

    March was busy! Hopefully things will settle down this month (though I highly doubt it). My goals this month are to write The White Rose, sew a formal dress for Lia's graduation dance, and maybe find a job or something...LOL.

    Yes I am, and my cabin is awesome. We got some new people in the Fellowship and a lot of the old ones are participating this year too. Which is AWESOME!! Writing is going okay too - I've got 2K of 30K written so far....

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must share pictures when it's done!!!!!!!!!!! I must see it!!!

      That's super cool! I love the name of y'all's cabin. So awesome. And great progress! Great work!

      Delete
  2. I can't believe it's April! You got a lot done though, so good for you.
    I think I might do The 5- Part Writing Special next time. I loved all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR! I can't believe it either! Time's flying by this year.

      YES, YOU MUST! It's so much fun.

      Delete
  3. Can I just say that I love your images???? I love seeing the new ones you use for your posts!!! #blogginggoals

    Camp NaNo is gonna be epic!!!!!

    No worries about SSaS, though. I’m still figuring out Ravin and his arc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means a lot. Usually, I just throw a bunch of stuff together and hope for the best. I'm glad that you like them!

      IKR! I can't wait to see how far we all get by the end of the month. I think I'll be able to get a lot of work done tomorrow.

      I'm not too worried. It's coming along nicely. We just need to continue blowing stuff up and all will be good.

      Delete
  4. Great job!!! Sounds like March was great! Have fun with NaNo, one day I am determined to do it...
    Oh!!! I reread The Hobbit last fall!!! I love that book!!! Have you read LOTR?? I'm in The Simarillion, and it's much harder than any of the other works of his I've read, but it's still really good. LOTR is best of all. ;)
    astoryspinner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should! It's so much fun. Camp is a great way to get into the madness, as you can determine your goals. That way it works with what you're comfortable with instead of having to go headlong into something completely nuts.

      I have read LotR and the Silmarillion. The Silmarillion is a lot harder to read (it's more like a history book) but it's definitely fun and helps with understanding the background Tolkien's world. I'm going to work through his History of Middle Earth books soon (I got partway through The Book of Lost Tales pt. 1), now that I'm about to have all twelve. That'll probably take me a while. They're about on part with The Silmarillion.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, those are a lot of goals (but honestly it also encourages me to get my writing in gear). Best of luck with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's going to be nuts, but I'm really hoping to get my butt into gear this month. I slack off a lot, so this will kick me into shape. I hope that your goals come along really well this month!!

      Delete
  6. Best of luck with your goals, Sarah!! <33

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts