Lessons From My Time in the Mountains



This post was supposed to go out yesterday, but my neighbor called me in for an emergency baby-sitting/pet-sitting job. So instead of writing, I spent three hours playing with eight puppies and one of my favorite kids in the entire world.

But anyway, last weekend, my siblings and I spent a few days in the mountains in our church's cabin. It was a lovely time of relaxation and rejuvenation (albeit it was far too short). Can't wait until I get to go again.

While we were there, I had the chance to help my brother brainstorm a book idea he's working on. He's struggled with it for months, not sure of where to start, so I did my best to help him break through. I learned a few things during that session and I thought I might share them.

~Don't over think~

His biggest struggle was overthinking everything. The plot. The outline. Everything. Once I boiled everything down to the most basic concept, I could almost see the details click for him. He got so excited about writing his story.

Sometimes we want to go super complex on things because it sounds like that's how all the greats did it. But, honestly, the most simple- ridiculously simple- ideas are the best. I mean, I wrote The Herbalist's War off of career research. There's nothing super complex or fancy about it. Just a basic concept that grew into an awesome story.

~You have made progress~

I often find that I get overwhelmed in the process that I forget to look back and see where I came from. But as we were touching on how to outline, he made a comment like: "It's so easy for you. You don't ever struggle with it." And I replied with something along the lines of: "Well, that's what happens when you've written almost ten novels."

I had to stop and think about that. I did struggle with outlining for years. My first novels prove that. But after a while, I figured out my process. It changes from time to time, depending on what my story needs, but it's still essentially the same. I've made progress. I've figured how I best outline. Who knows where else I've made improvements?

If you ever feel like you'll never reach your goals, stop a moment and list five areas where you've improved and how you went about it. Then, maybe try to think of ways you could improve in whatever area you're struggling with now. A fight is always easier with a battle plan. Make one.

~Brainstorming brings breakthroughs~

He spent months stressing about his plot. Months. After about thirty minutes of brainstorming, he calmly spent the rest of the weekend and the days afterwards working on his story as if none of that stressing ever happened.

So if you ever find yourself overwhelmed by a problem, reach out to someone else. They'll probably know exactly how to fix it. And then the only thing you'll stress about is why you didn't think about it in the first place.

So there you have it, three lessons from my time in the mountains! I hope you found them helpful.

What sorts of lessons have you learned recently? Where have you made improvements? What are some of your best brainstorming moments? 

Comments

  1. What great things to learn! It was very encouraging to me. I'm just starting out, not sure of what first steps to take in writing my novel. I have the idea/dream, but it's a slow going process. What is your best outlining method? Do you plan out every part of your story?
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it encouraging and it's so awesome that you're starting out on the journey of writing!!

      I actually wrote a post on my outlining process a few months ago. You can read it here: http://sarahrodeckerwriter.blogspot.com/2017/11/my-writing-process-part-two-outlining.html

      If you have any other questions about it, I'd be thrilled to answer them.

      As far as your question of whether or not I plan everything, I'll say I plan most things. I plan out scenes and such, but I don't spend hours figuring out character details and world building. That stuff comes to me better while I'm actually writing the story. Just the very basics about characters and settings are all I need to get going.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I read both part one and part two. Very helpful! My story idea has been building for quite a while...
      I'm thinking about taking my top three favorite books, and writing down what makes those books special to me. Then, I want to look at that list and try to apply it to my writing.
      50,000 to 80,000 word count is kind of a intense goal because I really haven't ever written that amount before. But I really want my book to be full length...
      I've read How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method, and it was really good! Have you ever read it? Do you feel like that is a good writing method?

      Delete
    3. I've not used that method, but I have heard of it, so I can only give an educated opinion. I think it's probably a good method to use as a beginner because it helps you look at a situation from a lot of angles. You can find different ways to make a plot interesting and moving. As you gain experience, you'll probably start doing that instinctively and might not have to do the full-on method. But you should definitely give it a shot and let me know how it goes!!

      Do you have my email? Because, if you want, I'd be happy to continue this conversation and help you figure this writing thing out as best I can (especially since I know exactly how hard it is to figure out how to make a full-length novel). I love coaching others and I'd be happy to help!

      Delete
    4. Ok, thanks! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, just got back from a mini weekend vacation. I think it would be great to email about writing! I don't think I have your email... do you want to email me through my blogs contact form?
      Thanks again!
      -Brooklyne

      Delete
  2. So encouraging! Great post! I especially love the "don’t overthink it" part of the post. I feel like writers (or maybe just me) do that a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely do, but it's something I'm trying to do less of. I'm glad you found this post helpful!!

      Delete
  3. I'm having a bit of a writing slump. Thanks for sharing the encouragement and tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brainstorming is super awesome!! I've been dreading working out some plot holes/changes in Words of Song, but the other day I just sat down and thought about it for a few minutes, and, boom! a breakthrough happened and now I'm working out a complete new synopsis!! Just going and sitting down to work out things can do wonders! (And once you finish alpha-reading Gold, I might through a few of my new plot ideas your way for the second one, just to see if you think they seem like a logical progression!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great experience! I guess don't over think is applicable to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool that your brother is also writing!

    I seriously need to take these lessons to heart, because I'm struggling in the writing department too.....

    Wonderful post, Sarah!

    Catherine <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally cool! He likes to hobby write a lot, though sometimes he has a hard time finding the time with his work.

      Hey, as I told Brook, you're more than welcome to email me and I can help you hash out difficulties! It's totally one of my favorite things to do!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts