WIP Special// Part Four: Side Characters and World Building


Welcome to week four of the 5-Part WIP Special!! If you missed the last three posts, you can check them out here, here, and here!

This week, we're talking about our SCs and Settings. Definitely one of my most favorite things of this story! Let's get into it!

~List your SC’s, state one of their main hobbies, and tell us how they influence your MC in the story~

Let's see here, we have:

Alex- Ive's brother. He is taken after Simon's order to take in the teenage boys.

Vee- Ive's mother. She's kind of like Ive's voice of reason. Probably one of the only people in this book who has their head screwed on right.

Crissa- Ive's sister. She enjoys fixing anything from broken hearts to broken computers. She's good at it too.

Carl- A friend Ive makes while participating in the riots. He's a Harvard grad, with a PhD in Linguistics.

Vic- A missionary Ive rescues. He's probably one of my favorite characters in this book. He's super quirky, right down to his love of well-styled hair.

~Who is the SC that is the closest to your MC?~

Probably either Crissa or Vee. Though, Vic is a close second. 

~How do your SC’s act around people they don’t know?~

Vic is more outgoing, not because it's necessarily easy for him. He has a mission to accomplish and isn't going to let anything get in his way. 

The rest are probably more standoffish. They've grown up in a world where you can't trust anyone, so they often avoid interactions with people they don't know.

~How do they add conflict to the story (disagreeing with the MC, perhaps)?~

Most of the SCs disagree with Ive in some way. Either her motivations, her actions, her personality, or something else. And this causes a great deal of conflict because she is repeatedly challenged in her determination.

~Would your MC die for any of them?  What about vice versa?~

She would definitely die for Vee and Crissa. I think she would also die for the rest as well, though she maybe doesn't feel as close and protective of them as her family.

Most would die for Ive, except for maybe Carl. I'm not so sure about Carl...

~If you were writing a books about your SCs, what might the books be like?~

It would be a mess, that's for sure. I guess if it were about Crissa or Carl, it would be filled with bemoanings about being the smartest person in the group (think Shuri, Stark, and Banner). 

If it were Vic, it would have a lot of interesting stories about being a missionary. And how to use hair product...

If it were Vee, it would be a parenting self-help book about handling children involved in riots. 

~What is your favorite part about the setting?~

That it's set in a place I love dearly. I love going to Michigan. The sights, the things to do, and the people I see there are all big parts of my heart. 

~What was the hardest part about coming up with the setting?~

Coming up with the setting. It took me a while to pin it down. I knew I wanted some place that hasn't been overused yet. Like, I'm kind of tired of things happening in New York City and on the west coast. So I finally settled on Detroit and the surrounding area. 

~Is there anything about the setting that produced a major change in your character throughout the story?~

I'm figuring the cold will probably definitely impact them a great deal. Toughen them up a bit. I'm not sure if anything will produce a big change in them, though. 

~Did you base your setting off of any place in particular?~

Yep, Michigan!

Well, there you have some information about both my SCs and the setting. I hope you enjoyed learning more about my little story!

As always, make sure you check out the rest of the participants' posts! And be sure to stay tuned for next week's post! It's going to be so much fun!!!

Jules
Nicole
Ceci
Lisa
Gray
Julia
Jem
Melissa
Brook
Ariel
Keturah

Which character do you think you love the most? Are there any places you're tired of seeing in movies/books? How's y'all's writing coming along? 

Comments

  1. For some reason, I already love Alex.
    And YESS VIC SOUNDS AMAZING!!!!! XD

    Can’t wait to see your post next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carl sounds intriguing just because he's from Harvard and he's into linguistics. I see so much potential for a unique character there!

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carl has taken a surprising turn and has become more of an integral character than I expected. He's so awesome and kind. I just love him!!

      Delete
  3. Loved learning about your side characters!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It's been interesting and fun. I'm really enjoying that aspect!!

      Delete
  5. The linguistics SC!! Carl sounds super-interesting ("it's so HARD being so SMART [what's it like in your tiny little brains??]"). But now I have to ask, Sarah - is he more like Shuri, Stark, or Banner??
    - Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. He's most like Banner, probably. Not overly frazzled. Usually is there when someone needs a helping hand.

      Crissa's most like Stark (except not a billionaire or a playboy).

      Delete
  6. Vic sounds pretty neat! And I seriously want to read this book so bad!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's so much fun to write!!!!! I really love him. And I can't wait until people can read this book.

      Delete
  7. So every time you mention Carl, I think of Studio C's Susan Weebers videos. "SHUT UP CARL!!!!" lol

    But I love how all the characters are so varied and different!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually never really watched those videos. I usually don't like the ones where Natalie is the main character. But that's pretty hilarious!

      Yeah, I love them a lot!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts