Cliche Writing Advice Debunked: Your First Novel isn't Usable


It's been a long time since I last did a Cliche Writing Advice Debunked post. I almost thought about letting the series go, but then I saw this one sitting in my drafts, still unwritten, and I thought it would be a good topic to talk about.

A lot of writers out there say that first novels aren't normally usable. While this is often true, and we'll get to that at the end, I argue that it doesn't have to be a set rule. You can clean up your first novel and turn it into something that you can be proud of and show to others.

I'm in the process of revising and editing my first novel, The Dawn of a Hero. I'll be the first to admit that this little book is the poster child of why first novels aren't usable. The first draft was so horrible, I'm embarrassed to even think about it.

But I'll also be the first to tell you that it is the reason I know this advice doesn't have to be taken. It has come so far from that first draft, to the point where I hardly recognize it anymore. I am proud of how its turning out.

There are a few things that I've done to help this little story grow into something I believe is not only usable, but worthwhile.

~Work hard~

If I've done anything with tDoaH, I've worked hard. I spent hours brainstorming. Outlining and re-outlining. Adding. Subtracting. Splitting. Cutting. Maybe a touch of hair-pulling-out to top it off. 

I've worked very hard. And I plan to continue working very hard as I strive to make it the best story it can be. I know it still has a long way to go, but I'm willing to ride it out. I know that with each ounce of effort I put into it, it'll change and grow for the better. 

If you feel like your first novel is a story you want told, don't be afraid of working hard to tell it. I promise that with every hour spent, something great will come out of it. You really can't work for hours on something and not see something change for the better. Keep pressing forward!

~Let go~

I've talked about letting go before. It's a tough reality, but very important. I don't think a single word of my first draft remained in the story. Really, the only identifiable part that remained the same is the most basic plot line. Other than that, just about everything has changed. 

I removed characters, plot points, changed POV characters, character traits, and so much more. I don't think it would have come so far if I hadn't been willing to let go of things. I haven't yet regretted taking a single thing out. I don't even really think I miss most of the stuff I removed. I only see my story getting stronger with every step.

If you want your story to grow, be willing to let go of things that aren't helping your story. I promise it'll be worth it. 

If you know something's weighing down your story, just take it out. It's okay. It doesn't mean you don't love that part. You just don't love it with your story. They deserve to go their separate ways, happy and free. 

~Remain devoted~

I have, and will continue to be, steadfastly devoted to tDoaH. I believe in its message. I believe that it will be good enough for people to hold in their hands one day. I love it with all my heart. 

I've never questioned whether tDoaH was worth working on. At least, not enough to quit on it. Sure, I had plenty of doubts about whether I was capable of cleaning it up enough, but I knew it had potential. 

I refuse to give up on it. I firmly believe it was that tenacity that got me through the hard work and letting go. It will continue to get me through the challenges ahead. 

If you know your story has potential, remain devoted to it. Stay the course, believe in it, and work your butt off. It'll get there eventually. Just be patient and focused. 

~Reasons why you might let your first novel go~

1. It's not your love. If you don't love the story, there is no reason you should worry about trying to clean it up. It's not worth your time. Let it go. Find the story you love. The one that ignites your passion. The one that will get you through the hard times that come with writing. Devote your time and energy to that story.

2. You determined to write it only for yourself. Some books are just for growth and practice. You may have decided that you just want to keep that first novel for yourself. You may love it, are proud of what it taught you, but are choosing to not show it to the world. If this is the case for you, give it the respect it deserves and then let it go as you move on to your next big thing.

While there are many reasons why you may want to set aside your first novel, if you know that it's a story you want told, know that you can and should see it through. I believe in you. Your story believes in you. Now believe in it.

Onto y'all! Are any of you working on your first novel? Is it one that you believe you want to continue working on? What things have you done to stay the course? Also, do you want me to write more posts in this series? If so, what are some pieces of advice you'd like me to debunk? Let me know down below!

Comments

  1. Great post! My first novel is abdlsfadbcsadcf something else xD But I (like you said above) just could not let it go and I took bits and pieces and made a TOTALLY different story, with some basic similar elements.

    ~Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel ya! Mine was so horrendous. I'm so glad I didn't leave it in such a state. I hope your story continues to grow and improve!

      Delete
  2. This is SO helpful. I've written other things, but I've always been working on the Pentegreens, and I won't give up on that series anytime soon. The thing you mentioned about changes has been my lifesaver every time, and every change I've made to the story or the protagonist or the characters' arcs or anything like that has made it 1000 times better. This is such a helpful post, and very relatable for me <3 Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It's such a great help to be willing to let go of things. It's sometimes really difficult, but it's definitely worth it! I hope your story gets better and better with every pass! Keep working hard, girl!

      I'm glad you found it helpful!

      Delete
  3. I love my first novel, and so does the friend I let read it, but I've let it go ... because I feel like my newer novels are so much better. But I do want to someday share that book with the world. So yeah I think this myth needs debunking ;D

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes it's a good idea to pass over things for a while, if only to improve our craft enough to better our older works. I hope that you'll be able to share it someday!

      Delete
  4. NONONONO that is WRONG

    Your first novel CAN be worth something!!!! Don't just toss it away because you had no idea what you're doing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts