Summer Wrap-Up/Fall Goals (+ a Q&A Call)



So, apparently, it's nearly fall now? #whatistimereally

But anyway, it's been a weird summer, filled mostly with writing related stuff and not much else, which I'm not complaining about! But let's get into what I did!

~Writing~

1. UM, I HAVE A FREAKING BOOK IN THE WORLD!!!!! In case you've missed it, Helena (aka Julian Daventry) and I published Ships, Secrets, and Survivors last week and we couldn't be more excited that it's in your hands! Also, if you want to check it out or order it, you can do so on Amazon or on our website.

2. I completed my rewrite of The Rise of the Prisoner. I managed to knock most of it out during Camp NaNoWriMo in July. It's too short and has ALL. THE. PLOTHOLES, but I loved every minute of writing it and it 100% motivated me to get back into the world of Reylance. #totallyworthit

3. I started overhauling the world building and characters arcs of all three books in the Reylance Trilogy. I'm planning on doing some massive edits next year, now that I know my world and characters better, but first I want to really cover a lot of the details and figure out how they play out in each chapter/book. If that makes any sense whatsoever. 

To do this, I broke out the Editing Bullet Journal again and spent a good deal of August scribbling away at it. If any of y'all are interested in how I put together my Editing Bullet Journal, you can check this post out. It's slightly outdated, so if you're interested in an updated version, let me know!

Once I got some progress on that, I started making updated outlines for each of the books. I'm adding in notes on each chapter in different colors to correspond with the notes I made in my bullet journal. This way I know exactly what I need to go through and improve in each chapter. If you're interested in how that looks as well, let me know!

4. I participated in GTW's 100-for-100. This helped me complete two projects (a novella, plus the rewrite of The Rise of the Prisoner) well before the end of the challenge, so I ended up using my world building notes for the remainder of the challenge, which gave me the motivation to actually get the work done.

~Life~

June:

Most of June was spent running around mentally, getting things ready for our release of SSaS. Lots of graphic design stuff, getting social media and website stuff together, and loads of artsy things to do!

And honestly, that was all I had the energy to do. I was supposed to do a lot more than that, but I just couldn't. 

One fun thing I did pick up in June that I've developed a love for is fantasy mapping! Jules and I needed a map for the Pirate Hunter Chronicles and I figured it couldn't be that hard to throw something together, so I volunteered to give it a shot. Anyway, I found this one guy on YouTube who had a bunch of mapping tutorials and live mapping streams. I devoured all of his content and discovered I really enjoy this process. Mountains were a pain to draw at first, but I slowly got the hang of them as I practiced. 

July:

July was supposed be full of travelling, but one by one, the things I was going to travel to got postponed, canceled, or I just decided not to go. Just as well, seeing as I had huge writing goals for the month and needed plenty of time to get those things done.

Pretty much the entirety of the month was spent getting financial stuff all sorted out for our release of SSaS. That was a nightmare and I was close to letting a few choice words slip a time or two. Thankfully, Jules and I got everything sorted and it's all smooth-ish now. 

I also did Camp NaNo, which I lost, but I still managed to complete my rewrite, so that's a win in my book!

I also drove up to Jules's place to spend the night. That was super nice (and I actually got some uninterrupted reading time and nearly finished two books!). We went for a short hike and got some of the pre-order stuff sorted.

August:

August happened.

I mean, of course there was the book release and that was awesome, but I had a lot of personal stuff going on at home that was difficult to get through that left me really exhausted. 

But I think most of that stuff is improving, so I'm glad for that! 

~Q&A~

My birthday is this month, so I thought it would be fun to do a Q&A in celebration. Go ahead and ask me anything down in the comments (within reason, of course. No asking for my SSN or anything like that) and I'll do a video of me answering them! I think I'll post it on the 30th and I'll probably film it sometime the week before, so just be sure to get your questions in by around the 18th or so!

~Fall Goals~

1. I'm going to continue working on my world building and character arc notes for The Reylance Trilogy. I'm really pumped about it and I can't wait to see how all of the details will help make the story better!

2. Edit and beta read (hopefully) for Sins, Sons, and Siren Songs! The interesting thing about publishing a series is that once you release a book, while everyone is freaking out about that one, you're already onto the next book. So now that Ships is in the world, Jules and I must now direct our attention to our precious book 2 (which, let's be honest, we're very excited about because we love this story!). 

3. Participate in NaNoWriMo. This year, I'm planning on working on at least two projects: book 3 in the Pirate Hunter Chronicles (AHHHH!) and book 3 in the Monsters of Our Making series. I'm estimating that I'll get somewhere between 75-100k between the two projects. Honestly, if I hit 50k in my book and finish my portion of the cowritten book, I'll be happy. But I would not be mad if I hit a double NaNo. 

Which leads me right into my next goal...

4. I'm going to dive into a somewhat crazy adventure. I'm going to try and take part in Kate Cavanaugh's Milwordy challenge. If you haven't heard of it, she basically challenged herself to work on 1,000,000 words over the next year, starting on September 1, 2020 and ending August 31, 2021, and invited anyone who wanted to take part to join her. The challenge includes all of your writing: drafting, plotting, rereading, editing, social media posts, and pretty much any other writing that you do. I won't be counting personal correspondence (emails, texts, and stuff like that).

If you wanted, you could select a smaller goal, but I decided I was going to try and aim for the full million words. Seeing as I have at least 3 books I want to publish next year, plus a trilogy I want to edit and pitch, I feel like pushing myself to write that many will be a good idea. 

I went ahead and made a spreadsheet, where I would log all of my words for the day. It's kind of similar to the one she made, but a little more personalized to me. Because I wanted to take at least all Sundays off, plus have to freedom to take Saturdays and some holidays off if I wanted, I popped onto a date calculator to figure out how many weekdays I had to work with and how many words I'd have to write per day.

With 249 workdays, I would have to write a total of 4000 words a day. 

Not horrible, if I include all of my work. I'll include rereading stuff (but only when I actually have to reread stuff, not when I'm just doing it to up the word count because that's cheating. So right now, rereading Sins counts. But I were to reread, say, Simon Says or something like that, it wouldn't count because I'm not planning on working on those stories anytime soon). I'm also including blog posts and Instagram captions. 

So anyway, it'll be interesting to see how this all goes.

That's what I've been up to and what I plan on doing in the next few months!

Onto y'all! How was your summer? What are your plans for NaNo? Are you participating in #Milwordy? What questions do you have for my Q&A? Let me know down below!

Comments

  1. YOU'RE DOING MILWORDY??? *shook* That is SUCH a crazy goal to undertake - but you've got this! I really want to try and do something similar eventually . . . maybe 500k? We'll see . . . but, you know, school doesn't help. XD

    (although if I counted all my essay words I might stand a chance.)
    (actually that's a really good idea, so I'm gonna go see what I can do about that XD)

    ANYWAYS, I had no idea you used an editing bullet journal! *runs to check it out*

    And YES, A Q&A VLOG!!!!! Happy early birthday, and here are my questions:
    - What's your favorite part about being a writer?
    - If you could have dinner with any character (either one of your own or one from a different story), who would it be and why?
    - Most valuable lesson you learned in publishing SSaS?
    - Do you like coffee, and if you do, how do you like it prepared?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna try...We'll see how it goes! It's kind of a crazy goal, but I think I can do it.

      You could totally count essays! I mean, those things add up in college and they totally count as writing.

      Yeah, it's not the greatest thing, looks-wise, but it's really helpful in me keeping track of everything.

      Awesome questions! I can't wait to answer them!

      Delete
  2. Fantasy mapping sounds like SO much fun!
    Also, I'm ridiculously excited for the beta call for SSS 2!
    WOW, you're trying to get a MILLION words? That's amazing. Also insane. But mostly amazing! But also insane. I don't think I'd stand a chance...but good luck!

    Happy early birthday! My questions:
    -Top five favorite books or series
    -If you could meet any five authors, who would you want to meet (living or dead)?
    -What's your favorite season?
    -Favorite plant/flower?
    -Favorite genre to read?
    -How much time do you usually devote to writing per day?
    -What's a genre you haven't written in yet but you want to write in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really fun! And very relaxing (and shockingly not as difficult as I thought?!).

      AHH! We might not have an official call for beta readers? Not sure. But I'll definitely put you on the list, if you're available to read it.

      Yes, I'm going to try! It is insane, but it would really be amazing if I did hit it!

      Great questions!! Can't wait to answer them!!

      Delete
  3. Happy early birthday!!!!

    if you had to change your name, what would it be and why?
    biggest screw up in the kitchen?
    What mildly annoying curse would you curse people with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I love those questions!! I'm already thinking up some fun answers!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday!

    If you were going to go on THE MOST EPIC trip ever, where would you go? Multiple destinations, countries if you want them. Or just one! (If its just try the local beer in every pub in County Cork that's cool too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Ohh! I love that question (and I already have a solid answer)!

      Delete
  5. Happy early birthday, Sarah!! Good luck with all your fall goals (and with Milwordy!!)! My jaw DROPPED when I saw Kate's announcement; I was like "that could never be me oh my gosh." But now here like two weeks later I'm doing a quarter milwordy XD it's not nearly as much as what you, Kate, and so many other amazing people are doing, but fingers crossed! I cannot imagine publishing three books in a single year AND writing a million words. Best of luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first, I was like "yeah, no. I'm not gonna do that." Then I saw her spreadsheet and I was like, "Maybe I could??" LOL. Somehow, spreadsheets make everything seem more possible to me. But we'll see if I'm able to do it or not.

      YES!! A quarter milwordy is amazing!!! You've totally got this!

      Delete
  6. If you had to choose one story world to write in forevermore, which would it be?

    (I hope your personal stuff is going better!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! That's a tough one!! I'll have to think about my answer for that.

      It is, thank you! I'm feeling better now.

      Delete
  7. -If you were able to keep as many cats as you wanted (in theory, with like, unlimited resources for food/litter/etc), would you have a bunch? or like, 1 or 2? or maybe just 10? or 100???

    -A time where you wanted to slap some random stranger upside the head for something?

    -Would you rather never read Tolkien or Lewis again? (le gasp)

    -Favorite song that isn't in a music genre that you normally listen to but for some reason this one song just gets stuck in your head and you enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still so excited about your book! It was so good! Glad your already working on the next one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! I'm really excited to see how the second one turns out!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts