Know the Novel Linkup//Part One: Introduction

I get so excited when Christine announces that she's going to do the Know the Novel Linkup!! It's such a fun way to introduce our novels, regardless of whether we're planning on doing NaNo or not!

If you're not sure what the Know the Novel linkup is, check out Christine's original post here, where you can learn all about it!

Today, y'all get to meet my upcoming WIP and I couldn't be happier to finally get to share it with you! But first, perhaps I should tell you what the working title is, shouldn't I?

Well, here you go!

The Last of the Lambs

This is the third book in my dystopian series, Monsters of Our Making. I'm so excited about this story and I can't wait to share more about it in the coming months!

Let's hop right into the questions, shall we?

1. What first sparked the idea for this novel?

I'm not entirely sure what prompted the idea? Two years ago, I wrote Simon Says, thinking that it would be a standalone. Then the idea for The Gingerhaired Girl popped into my head and I decided to turn it into a series of companion novels, where each story is loosely based off a children's game or rhyme. 

Once I'd decided that it was going to be a series, I started brainstorming different ideas for rhymes and children's games that could work as dystopian stories. I came up with a list of six different books, including SS and TGHG. The Last of the Lambs--loosely inspired by Mary Had a Little Lamb--was the one I was most excited to write, so I decided to write it this year.

2. Share a blurb (or just an overall summary if you’d prefer)!

*growls* I could have sworn I wrote a blurb back when I started working on the idea, but now I can't find one anywhere.

Oh well. I'll just figure one out now! And we're all going to ignore the absolute mess it'll be!

Can a lamb survive in a world full of lions?

Londiwe didn't ask for much out of life. She wanted her family happy, a roof over her head, and her beloved lamb by her side. When raiding insurgents rip these things from her, she finds out the world outside her family's farm is a tumultuous wasteland filled with lions dressed like men.

Broken, alone, and thirsting for revenge, she finds herself rescued by kindly missionaries who mend her wounds and claim that they know how to heal her heart. She's sure they're wrong, convinced the only way to help her now is to put a bullet in the chest of the man who laughed as he burned her world.

She doesn't think she'll ever get her chance until one day she hears about a group of freedom fighters who fight against the increasing violence of the insurgents. Eager to seize her chance to get revenge, she joins them. But war is no place for vendettas and she soon finds herself at her end, no longer the gentle lamb she was, but a battle-worn lion wishing she could change back. Is there any way for a gentle soul to live in a world where evil seems to win? Or do the last of the lambs have to give way to lions?

3. Where does the story take place? What are some of your favorite aspects about the setting?

My story takes place in the distant future in South Africa. I'm both nervous and excited about this setting as it's the first time I've written anything based in a different country in our world. 

The research has been so fun. I've found loads of interesting foods, animals, and other landmarks that are so awesome! There is still so much I need to learn and I'm feeling woefully unprepared, but I've still got a few weeks left before NaNo. Hopefully, I can learn enough to get a first draft out and then I can continue my research afterwards in order to edit it.

4. Tell us about your protagonist(s).

Londiwe* is the eldest daughter of a sheep farmer. When she was little, she took in an orphaned lamb and raised it. The two of them did everything together growing up. She's a cheerful light to her family until the day her world starts slipping away. 

*name subject to change. I'm still learning about the languages spoken in South Africa and the different naming customs, so if I find that this name isn't accurate, I'm going to change it

5. Who (or what) is the antagonist?

Aside from the insurgents as a whole, Londiwe has her sights set on one man in particular: Mfanafuthi*, who is responsible for destroying her life. He is one of the leaders of the insurgents and...isn't a nice man at all.

*again, name is subject to change. 

6. What excites you the most about this novel?

I'm really excited to learn more about a different country and just see where this takes me. Plus, I really like the vibes this story is giving me. I think it'll be fun! And by fun, I mean soul-crushing. 

7. Is this going to be a series? standalone? something else?

This is going to be part of my dystopian companion novels, along with Simon Says and The Gingerhaired Girl. This one deals with the repercussions of Simon's dictatorship the least out of the books I've written so far, but there will be some tie-ins that I'm excited about.

8. Are you plotting? pantsing? plansting?

According to most people, I'm plotting, but according to me, I feel like I'm pantsing. At the time of writing this post, I haven't finished my outline, haven't figured out how the country operates, barely know anything about my characters. As if that wasn't obvious by reading this post

But hey! I've got all October to figure that stuff out right? *nervous laughter*

Also, can we acknowledge that last year I said I wasn't going to go into NaNo so unprepared again? Look at me not paying a lick of attention to my past self! 

9. Name a few unique elements about this story.

I feel like the world is a fairly unique element. I haven't seen many (if any) dystopians based in other countries around the world, especially not in Africa. 

Also, missionaries play a large role in the story. 

10. Share some fun “extras” of the story (a song or full playlist, some aesthetics, a collage, a Pinterest board, a map you’ve made, a special theme you’re going to incorporate, ANYTHING you want to share!).

I made a fun cover for the story! 


I'm saving some of my other stuff for the WIP Special, in case there are questions about additional aesthetics, so I won't share them here.

There you go! That's a little bit about my story!! I hope you enjoyed your little sneak peek! Look for more fun info over the coming months!

Onto y'all! What writing project are you working on right now? How's it going? What are you most excited about for it? Let me know all the things down below!

Comments

  1. YAAAAY!!!! I've been so looking forward to reading your answers to this! And oh my gracious goodness, this series of yours just sounds AH-MAY-ZING! I think I've said it before, but I gotta say it again, the idea of a dystopian series based off children's games/rhymes is BRILLIANT and deliciously chilling and I love it SO SO MUCH!!!

    This next one you're writing just sounds incredible. I love that you're setting it in South Africa (that IS unique!), and I can already tell just from what you said that this is gonna be a feelsy book. Which are always the best! ;D And I ADORE how you're exploring the idea of if gentle souls can stay gentle in a evil world. That is a really thought-provoking theme!

    I just loved all of this! Thank you for joining the linkup and sharing with us! Cheering you on all the way as you write it! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! Thank you so much! I'm really pumped about this series (though it's mildly terrifying because I don't want to let down people's expectations).

      LOL! Yeah, I think it'll get me in the feels at least once. Most of these books do. I do really enjoy putting in thought-provoking themes into my stories, but especially these ones. It's so interesting to explore different concepts though the lens of a dystopian world.

      Thank you! I can't wait until the next linkup!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a really fun one! I love the setting idea, and how it ties into the plot--Africa must be SUCH a fun place to learn about as settings go! And the names--so cool! I hadn't actually heard about your dystopian nursery rhymes series, and wow, that is a really creepy/cool idea!

    I can totally relate to not feeling like you've researched enough--I'm trying to have a couple of my characters go to Alaska (just for four days!) and now I kind of feel like I need to go to Alaska for research. Which is definitely not going to happen. It must be so much work finding out enough for a whole book! (Even if it is a lot of fun, as I think it must be!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't remember why I decided to go with Africa, but it really is an interesting place to learn about!! The food is super cool, as well as the different animals that live there.

      Yes! I'm really excited about this series. It's one that's close to my heart and I can't wait for the day where people can finally read them!

      LOL! Right?! That's so cool that you've got them going to Alaska! That's totally one of my bucket-list places to go!

      Delete
  3. I love the whole concept of this story and series!!! It's so cool and I haven't read any dystopian books set in Africa, so that's way cool! I LOVE that blurb and even though the names are subject to change I like them too!

    I absolutely love how the stories are based off rhymes or children's games, that is so unique and awesome!

    Thanks for sharing about your story! I hope your writing goes great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really love this series and I'm excited to write this book. Yes, I really like the names. I hope I got them right and that I don't have to change them (because that might become a pain).

      Oh yes! It's so fun to come up with story ideas that way!

      Thank you! I hope it goes well too!

      Delete
  4. This looks really good! I love dystopians, especially dystopians that aren't set in America (because all of them are). And basing your novels off children's nursery rhymes is so unique and such a great premise! Good luck with NaNoWriMo and I hope you get it all sorted before November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? A lot of dystopians I see are based in America. I kind of wanted to break out of that a bit and try something new. We'll see how it goes!

      Thank you! I'm super pumped for NaNo!

      Delete
  5. A dystopian in another country is so cool!
    This story sounds so deep. I love the inspiration behind it and the other books in this series.
    I wish you well on this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it'll be fun to write about a different country!

      Thank you! I'm excited about it and I hope it goes well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts