WIP 4-Part Special//Part One: Introduction


Welcome to week one of the 4-Part WIP Special!! We've got some fun stuff lined up this time around and I can't wait until y'all get to know more about our stories!!

This week, we're introducing our projects for NaNo. 

Though I'll be, Lord willing, working on several projects in November, I'm going to cover The Last of the Lambs during the special. I'm really excited to let you know more about it over the coming weeks!

Let's get into the questions, shall we?

-Title, Genre, Expected Word Count of the WIP.

The Last of the Lambs (book 3 of the Monsters of Our Making series)

Dystopian

I'm thinking it'll come in around 70k? I planned enough chapters to theoretically make it 90k, but I'm a notorious underwriter, so it probably won't reach that during the first draft stage. Regardless of what the final word count will be, I'm only aiming to write the first 50k of it this month. I'll finish it some other time. 

-Provide a blurb.

Can a lamb survive in a world full of lions?


Londiwe didn't ask for much out of life. She wanted her family happy, a roof over her head, and her beloved lamb by her side. When raiding insurgents rip these things from her, she finds out the world outside her family's farm is a tumultuous wasteland filled with lions dressed like men.


Broken, alone, and thirsting for revenge, she finds herself rescued by kindly missionaries who mend her wounds and claim that they know how to heal her heart. She's sure they're wrong, convinced the only way to help her now is to put a bullet in the chest of the man who laughed as he burned her world.


She doesn't think she'll ever get her chance until one day she hears about a group of freedom fighters who fight against the increasing violence of the insurgents. Eager to seize her chance to get revenge, she joins them. But war is no place for vendettas and she soon finds herself at her end, no longer the gentle lamb she was, but a battle-worn lion wishing she could change back. Is there any way for a gentle soul to live in a world where evil seems to win? Or do the last of the lambs have to give way to lions?

-Describe the MC(s) in one word (each).

Londiwe: Bitter

Warrick: Steadfast

Lianna: Home

Cyril: Strong

Mfanafuthi: Violent

-Is there an antagonist? If so, how would you describe them?

Mfanafuthi is a piece of trash. He's the leader of a group of insurgents and causes a lot of grief and damage to Londiwe's family. I can't say much more than that.

-Describe your story in ten short phrases 

Lots of brokenness//lots of healing//sheep farming//terrorism//missionaries//beautiful landscape//art//friendship//rich culture//forgiveness

- Are you planning on publishing this WIP? If so, when and how? 

I would like to publish this series eventually, but that will probably be pretty far down the road as I've got a lot of other books either slated for publication or I'd like to pursue publication for. 

I haven't settled on whether I'm going to seek traditional or indie publication. I think it really depends on what my goals are down the road and where the right market is for these books. I love this series so much and I want to make sure I give them their best shot.

-Something about the WIP that you love.

I love exploring the concept of grief. It's a recurring theme throughout the series and, while it's difficult sometimes to address, it's such an important topic to cover. I like looking at how one might prevent their own healing and some of the unhealthy methods we use to try and avoid dealing with the pain. 

In this book, Londiwe loses everything she loves. The story follows her as she battles the grief that threatens to overwhelm her. 

-A scene that you are looking forward to writing.

There's an escape scene I'm looking forward to writing. I can't say much about it because #spoilers, so that's all you're getting out of me!

-What was the original plot bunny?

I'm not entirely sure what the original plot bunny was. I think I was just mulling over different ideas based on children's games/songs and settled on an idea where a girl's sheep is stolen from her. 

-How does it differ from the original plot idea?

I don't know if it differs much from the original. I think maybe I had it set in America, but I decided I was kind of tired writing about the same places and wanted to stretch myself a bit, so I switched it to South Africa. But other than that, I think it's about the same as before?

-The Other Links!

Make sure to check out the rest of the participants in the Special!

Julian

Catherine

MK

I hope you enjoyed reading a little more about The Last of the Lambs! Stay tuned for next week, where we have a super fun post planned!

Onto y'all! What is your project about? What's something you love about it? Are there any scenes that you're excited to write? Let me know all the things!

Comments

  1. That blurb, though!!! Like, that's back cover copy quality, right there!! How did you manage to nail it??? I have to, like, write TONS of blurbs before I'm even slightly happy with them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm. *shrugs* I don't know? I just kinda slapped words together? And somehow they managed to sound somewhat decent?

      Delete
  2. I agree with Julian, the blurb was 100% goals. Wow.
    I maintain that this project is such a cool idea, and set in such a creative setting! And from what I can tell from your blurb, Londiwe's character arc is going to be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! I'm glad y'all thought it was good. And I hope her character is good. I'm still working out the kinks, but I think it'll be fun to travel along with her!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts