WIP 4-Part Special//Part Three: Typical Day In the Storyworld

 


Welcome to week three of the WIP Special!! If you've missed the past two weeks, you can find them here and here

This week, we're going to do a little overview of life in our storyworlds. We are going to talk about what it would look like if we were dropped into our worlds, with everything the same about ourselves (job, personality, etc.) with the obvious differences that would be affected by the world (clothing, food, etc.). Basically, there's no embellishment allowed. We can't make ourselves bold princesses and dashing heroes if we're not already those things.

For the purposes of helping me narrow down the location a bit, I'm going to pretend I live at the compound, which is a place the Mason's missionary team set up to help people who are fleeing their homes due to attacks. 

Let's hop right in!

-What sort of job would you have in your storyworld?

I would probably be considered an "odd job man". I mean, technically, I'm an author, but I also do other things on the side. I'd likely work as a farm hand or nanny in my world. 

Around the compound, I'd probably make myself useful in whatever area I was needed. Probably would help in the garden and with the kids. Maybe help in the kitchen as well. 

-What sort of house would you live in?

Most of the buildings there are simple, but sizable structures, divided into small apartments where families or a group of individuals can share the room. There are community bathrooms, men on one side, women on the other. 

I'd probably share an apartment with a number of other girls/women who don't have families to live with.

-What sort of community would you live in?

At the compound, I'd be surrounded by people of all sorts of walks of life who are seeking refuge from attacks. Most of the people there will be struggling with something or other. Many are injured in some way and/or have lost something important to them, so there is a lot of grieving and sorrow. But the need for everyone to help in whatever way they can helps bring a sense of belonging and healing to them.

-Would you be valued in the community or not? (Not just job specific.)

Yes, I believe I would be. I, along with everyone else there, will be needed to fill roles in the community. The only people who wouldn't be as valued would be those who steadfastly refuse to do any sort of work without a reason to avoid it. 

- What sort of religious practices would you be doing? 

At the compound, there are church services that I'd attend. Because it is a missionary compound, there is the expectation that those who stay will abide by Christian principles and thus are asked to attend the church services held there. 

For those who are believers, there are other opportunities to fellowship with each other and build each other up in the Word through Bible studies and hymn-sing nights. 

- What would you be doing in your free time? 

There are often fun activities at night, with dancing and music. Also, a lot of the elders will tell stories to the younger individuals. 

There are also the opportunities to walk through the gardens and take moments to rest. I'd probably also write in my free time. 

- What would you be eating? 

There's a variety of interesting foods in South Africa, but here are a few that I've researched enough to sort of talk about.

Sosaties, which are kebabs with meat (often lamb) and apricots. I don't know if I would like this or not. I'm not the biggest fan of combining meat and fruit. But since it's also supposed to be spicy, there's a chance I would enjoy it. 

Bobotie, which is a mincemeat casserole with a savory custard. Again, don't know if I'd like it or not, but I'd probably prefer it to Sosaties.

Koeksisters are a kind of donut soaked in a cinnamon/ginger syrup. I would probably enjoy this on a rare occasion, as I can only handle donuts every once in a while. 

So...yeah, those are some of the foods that would be available to me. 

- If you could change your current position in the storyworld and do something else (like join the heroes) would you?

No, probably not. I think I would be very happy working with the rest of the people at the compound. It would be a very simple, calm life and I would enjoy it very much. 

Also, I definitely wouldn't want to go fight with the resistance. Nope. I'm good, thanks. 

-Would you have the opportunity to run into your characters in every-day life?

Possibly. For some of the book, Londiwe is not at the compound, so I probably wouldn't run into her much. But when she's there, we'd probably find ourselves working the gardens together at some point. At the very least, we'd cross paths. 

I'd run into the Masons a lot, as they're there all the time. We might not have a super close relationship, as they're very busy managing things around the compound. But I'd definitely see them and maybe exchange a few words here and there. 

-Would you be friends with your characters or would they have no idea you “exist” in their storyworld?

I'd probably be friends with Lianna and Cyril Mason. They seem like people I'd enjoy hanging out with. I don't know about Londiwe. At least, not at the beginning of the story. And War and I would probably drive each other crazy. We're too much alike. 

Well, there you have it! I hope you enjoyed learning a little more about my world. Make sure to check out everyone else's posts!



Comments

  1. The food sounds amazing! Love the community aspects too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it would be interesting to try their food! And the community is super nice too!

      Delete
  2. This is a really unique setting! And the food sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts